30 weeks and was put on procardia for preterm labor mom to 2 beautiful preemi 2 kids; Missouri 441 posts
27th Apr '13

I was having contractions last night that were 5 mins apart and they put me on procardia to help stop my contractions... Has anyone been on this before and how long did u have to take it and when did u end up having your baby? I've never been on this before and I have two preterm babies and this one tried coming 6 weeks before her sisters did. Any info would be greatly appreciated

penispenispenisVAGINA 4 kids; Idaho 7110 posts
27th Apr '13

Most dr's put you on the labor stopping pills till 36 weeks.

mom to 2 beautiful preemi 2 kids; Missouri 441 posts
27th Apr '13

Ok it's all new to me lol they have me enough for 6 days including today but they said the contractions werent changing my cervix but they were close enough to need me on it. I just didn't know if onc they stop me on it if I can still have her before her due date or if she will be on time or late

Jamie & Baby Aria 1 child; Ahmeek, Michigan 2606 posts
27th Apr '13

I had to have it in the ER at 34 weeks. But then they only gave 2 doses. Then I had to be put on mag sulfate which is like demon juice :lol: I hated it. But she was a 35 weeker, perfectly healthy.

Good luck mama!

27th Apr '13

Did the procardia not stop yours? They told me that if it didn't stop them after two doses they would put me on something else but I have to do another test and keep taking these pills till they are gone. I don't like them lol they give me head aches but I guess if she wants to come before July 5th than there is no stopping her lol. Thank u for the info I wa worried yesterday cuz I've never been on it and they were all concerned over her and then my heart rate too

Jamie & Baby Aria 1 child; Ahmeek, Michigan 2606 posts
27th Apr '13
Quoting mom to 2 beautiful preemi:" Did the procardia not stop yours? They told me that if it didn't stop them after two doses they would ... [snip!] ... u for the info I wa worried yesterday cuz I've never been on it and they were all concerned over her and then my heart rate too"

I was on it for contractions and high BP. It stopped both but only temporarily. When the BP went high again they did the mag sulfate, and then air lifted me out of state. They induced me because it was just harder on my body to keep her in. I was swollen up to my hips and couldn't even walk :? So in the end she was 7lb 12.5 oz 21 in long and much better off outside than inside. Went home 2 days later, no NICU time at all.

Both meds made me extremely sick and nauseous and I threw up alot on both of them. The mag made me feel like I was on fire though, worst thing I could possibly ever take.

27th Apr '13

Oh wow, good thing they induced u. I haven't had any blood pressure problems just contractions I am hoping il be off this stuff soon

Emily Lpn Due September 12 (boy); 1 child; USA 23 posts
27th Apr '13

I was on it from 32 weeks until 37 weeks to the day and my daughter came 4 days after stopping it! I doubt I would have made it that far without it

27th Apr '13

That's what I'm afraid of they only have me on it for 6 days right now and I started getting cramps again but I took the pills like they said if I cramp again. I'm only 30 weeks and would like for her to stay in till at least 36 weeks... It's all new to me and thank u all for the info... I'm hoping these will kick in and stop my crampin soon or I have to go back in

Emily Lpn Due September 12 (boy); 1 child; USA 23 posts
27th Apr '13

When they first put me on it, I took it regularly in the hospital for 3 days then they said to continue it "as needed". I stopped taking it and ended up back with some contractions and they finally prescribed it every 6 hours for the duration of the pregnancy. Increasing my fluid intake and taking it easy at work helped too. Stay strong Mama!!

27th Apr '13

That's what I'm on lol every 6 hours lots of fluid with rest, thank u I'm tryin my hubby stayed home to help with our daughters said thing is they were preterm too so either way I may have or may not have a preterm again just not right now lol

Braxton's Mommy ♥ 1 child; Indianapolis, Indiana 52 posts
28th Apr '13

I got put on procardia at 30 weeks with bedrest & I got taken off at 35 weeks & I'm 36+5 weeks dilated to 4 cm and 80% thinned and my son is still chilling in my belly lol.

28th Apr '13

they didnt put me on bed rest just the procardia and said if i get crampy to rest unless it gets worse than come in. when they put you on it at 30 weeks did they give you refills? sorry for so many questions i am just confused on why my doctor only gave me 60 pills and i take 2 a day 3 times a day with 0 refills... i wasn't dilated or thinned out so that could be why i guess. when my second daughter was 35 weeks i was were you are and a week later i had her. my doctor said if my youngest comes at 32-36 weeks he wont stop my labor idk why but thats what he said. hopefully i get some news tomorrow at least over the phone

3rd May '13

I have been taken off the procardia and was told to try n take it easy and rest to try n not have contractions before 34 weeks. I broke out in hives when I would take it and it made my heart rate go past 120 so I can no longer take it. Hoping my lil girl waits till either her daddy gets back home from Kentucky or till 34 weeks like the doctor wants her too