19 Month Old Not Talking Much? Derp TTC since Jan 2014; 1 child; Camp Lejeune, NC, United States 11449 posts
10th May '13

So I have a 19 month old who isn't talking much. He has hit all of his milestones (some of them even way before he was supposed to) and he is physically healthy. He will occasionally say words like momma, dada, hiiiiiii, NO!, and theeee (not really a word). Is this normal? He is totally engaged, makes eye contact, is extremely personable. He is a great little problem solver too when it comes to doing little puzzles and things. Could it be that he just isn't into talking yet? He's definitely a noisy little guy and will babble syllables on a regular basis in addition to the words above but that's about it.

This is my first child and I've had no experience with any other small children so any input would be great. Is there a way I can encourage him to talk more? I constantly point out things and I talk to him a lot but is there anything else I can do? Thanks.

Peyton'sMommy♥ 1 child; Springfield, Ohio 16806 posts
10th May '13

You can encourage but don't force. My son is currently in a program called Help Me Grow because he doesn't talk much either. He will occasionally say new words but they have to be because he really wants to say them.

Repeat everything.. like say cup a lot if you are talking about his cup. "Mommy has your cup. She will give your cup to you. You drink out of your cup." Sounds dumb but repetition has really helped Peyton. He's 22 months btw. His dr referred him to Help Me Grow because he was only saying about 4-6 words and still he doesn't talk a lot but he talks more than he used to.

ℕightingale 1 child; Mississippi 7011 posts
10th May '13

Every kid is different. DD is 20 months she don't say much just daddy, wow, yeah, no, mama, and 2. Most of it it's babble she says dada/daddy a lot and yeah other than that not much.

Elliot Grace (18 weeks) Due September 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 18148 posts
10th May '13

Dd is 18 months and doesn't say that much. I think it's pretty normal. I wouldn't worry before 2. Does LO try to say new words? Like when I tell dd to say car shell Do "caaa" or bird will be "birr" etc?

Derp TTC since Jan 2014; 1 child; Camp Lejeune, NC, United States 11449 posts
10th May '13
Quoting Elliot Grace's Mama:" Dd is 18 months and doesn't say that much. I think it's pretty normal. I wouldn't worry before 2. Does ... [snip!] ... worry before 2. Does LO try to say new words? Like when I tell dd to say car shell Do "caaa" or bird will be "birr" etc?"

He does imitate me when trying to say new words but he usually gives up after a few tries. Most recently he began trying to say "NO!" whenever he doesn't want me to do something, lol. I can tell it's what he's trying to say based on his body language (like he'll squirm a lot while changing a diaper and shout, "NAAAAOOOOOOOOH MAAAHHHH!"), at least I'm pretty sure that's what he's trying to do. He tries to imitate other syllables and words on occasion as well.

Peyton's Mommy, what does your pediatrician say about this? Do some children just need that extra help to start talking?

Kelsey1987 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Utah 735 posts
11th May '13

My son is 21 Months today. He says mom, dad, baby, cracker, no, bottle, cat, see, that, there, car, shoe, poop, love you , maybe a few others but those are his main ones. He doesn't speak in sentences yet though.

hobbit* 3 kids; New Zealand 44783 posts
11th May '13

My daughter wasn't talking before 2 either. She said basics mum dad hi by bath ball. That's it pretty much. She should even attempt to say new words. On the last few months her speech has picked up heaps. She's 2 and a half now.

Peyton'sMommy♥ 1 child; Springfield, Ohio 16806 posts
11th May '13
Quoting Derp:" He does imitate me when trying to say new words but he usually gives up after a few tries. Most recently ... [snip!] ... Peyton's Mommy, what does your pediatrician say about this? Do some children just need that extra help to start talking? "

She was a tad concerned and referred us to a program called Help Me Grow. If you do live in North Carolina... here's a helpful link http://www.beearly.nc.gov/