2 year old speech? Seneca Thurman 2 kids; Nashville, Tennessee 592 posts
11th May '13

My son just turned two last Saturday and I'm worried about his speech. He can say things like dadda,momma,puppy,meme,nana and simple things like names, but he just seems like he isn't as far along as he should be. The only phrases he can say are I gonna get you and I love you and thank you. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4964818291115&set=vb.1618882741&type=3&theater
This is a video of him talking for example. I'm just wondering does he seem like a normal 2 year old or do you think hes behind? I work with him all day every day cuz I'm a SAHM but sometimes he just isn't into it. I plan on asking his ped when we go next week, but I just need opinions.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
11th May '13

Their speech usually explodes sometime after their 2nd birthday. My daughter is 2.5 and talking in clear and complete sentences but when she turned 2, she had a handful of vocabulary words. Give him time.

mom of three 3 kids; Missouri 5102 posts
11th May '13

My 2 year old can say about 20 simple word and "what is that?' and thats it. Its completely normal. Girls are usually more verbal too, so dont compare him to girls. lol. He will start talking better soon!

Dovahkiin 1 child; 1 angel baby; Kentucky 16776 posts
11th May '13

Kids develop at different rates. Some gain skills quicker than others, doesn't mean the others are slow or delayed. Your video says it isn't available, but if he is holding his tongue correctly and making an effort to communicate and repeating (or trying to repeat) words after you, he is right on track.

eta: when you need to worry is if there is a lack of effort to verbally communicate, or you are noticing that he isn't holding his tongue properly.