4 weeks post mc & positive hpt? Isabel Mummy Japan 10 posts
18th May '13

I mc naturally 4 weeks ago while im 8 weeks preggo. I took a hpt 2 weeks ago & i got a strong positive (i still spotting at that time), and tested again today and still got a strong positive (stop spotting 3 days ago). I thought once i stop spotting the test will show up negative? When will i get a negative? Im so stressss! And can i get pregnant with hcg still in my system? Will i ovulate? I haven't got my period yet. is there anyway to make af come faster? can i take provera to induce af? Or i have to wait til i get a bfn then only af will show up? sorry for so many question. Anyone? Pls help? :-/

user banned 17 kids; Boston, MA, United States 9473 posts
18th May '13

you can get a positive 6-8 weeks later. i did with two pregnancies, one ended at 6 wk one ended ...probably around 11 or 12.

its scary, but normal to get a positive. are you having sex? its also important to know that you are still very fertile after a pregnancy ends so still take precaution if you dont want to get pregnant.

Isabel Mummy Japan 10 posts
18th May '13

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes i do had sex about 2 weeks after the mc but using condom, and yesterday unprotected. I just thought that once the spotting stop the hpt will come out negative already? Or could it be that i still have a retained tissues? Wouldn't i feel sick if i do? I feel good though. No fever whatsoever & i dont feel pregnant anymore. Should i go for ultrasound? Or should i wait? I just dont know what to do. I'll feel better if the lines is faint but to see that it still dark, kinda freaked me out :-/

18th May '13
Quoting Isabel Mummy:" Hi thanks for your reply. Yes i do had sex about 2 weeks after the mc but using condom, and yesterday ... [snip!] ... I just dont know what to do. I'll feel better if the lines is faint but to see that it still dark, kinda freaked me out :-/"

well if you havent seen a doctor you should, definitely. its possible that you didnt pass everything which can cause complications like you said, but most of the time your body knows what its doing. my first i was too young to know anything about all this really and i didnt see a doctor until 6 weeks later i was still getting positives. i hadnt had sex so i was worried i was still pregnant or something was wrong. i called planned parenthood and they told me to go to the er....kinda as if i was an idiot for not having gone already. everything was fine and that was just a really crappy bill added to other stress at the time. i would suggest you make an OB appt. and just explain that you had positive test but miscarried, they will know what to look for. if you do get a fever or cramping go to the er or one of those urgent care centers.

but yeah to ease your mind, positives can show up 6-8 weeks later.

18th May '13

Yeap i didn't go to the doctor because i decided to go after bleeding has stopped cause im scared that i will need a d&c in case i didnt passed everything :( my 1st mc is when im only 5 weeks, bled for a week and got a bfn 2 weeks after. I guess it depends on how far along we are. Hmm i just want to get this over with and start a new life. Sigh!

18th May '13
Quoting Isabel Mummy:" Yeap i didn't go to the doctor because i decided to go after bleeding has stopped cause im scared that ... [snip!] ... 2 weeks after. I guess it depends on how far along we are. Hmm i just want to get this over with and start a new life. Sigh!"

:( im sorry i know how stressful it all can be. lots of ladies here have been through similar things with just about any background or story to go with it so you will find a lot of support here.

slayera 4 kids; 3 angel babies; nowhere, ca, United States 699 posts
18th May '13

go to the doctor or urgent care just to be safe. maybe they can do an ultrasound to make sure everything is doing what its supposed to be doing. i almost died when i thought i was miscarrying for months on end. not that that would happen for u, but i now never hesitate to go in after that experience. sorry u r going through this.

Hotpocket Due September 27; 1 child; 2 angel babies; Birmingham, Alabama 970 posts
18th May '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Isabel Mummy:</b>" I mc naturally 4 weeks ago while im 8 weeks preggo. I took a hpt 2 weeks ago & i got a strong positive ... [snip!] ... to induce af? Or i have to wait til i get a bfn then only af will show up? sorry for so many question. Anyone? Pls help? :-/"</blockquote>

I got a positive 4 weeks after a miscarriage at 6 weeks. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant. Only a dr can say whether it's a new pregnancy or residual HCG.

7 blessings so far.... Due February 3; 6 kids; Glen Burnie, Maryland 8799 posts
18th May '13

has a dr confirmed that you did indeed have a mc? u need to have your hcg levels checked by blood test to make sure the levels are going down.

Mom of 4 Little Boys! 4 kids; 2 angel babies; Hillsboro, Oregon 4378 posts
status 18th May '13

I lost my last baby at 12-13 weeks and had to have a d&c because I wasn't passing it naturally. I had a DARK positive tests until 6-7 weeks after I had the procedure done. It just depends on how far along you were and how much hcg you had in your body at the time of the miscarriage.

Carol Allison Due August 8; 3 kids; 1 angel baby; United Kingdom 248 posts
19th May '13

I'd go the dr's to get hcg levels checked to see if there rising or falling

I had a natural m/c at 9 weeks in December & it took me 2 1/2 months to get rid of the hormone & I finally had my first af in March.

20th May '13

Hi all just a little update, i see my doc today & he has confirmed that i still have a few leftover product inside my uterus. And he scheduled me for D&C tomorrow :(

20th May '13
Quoting Isabel Mummy:" Hi all just a little update, i see my doc today & he has confirmed that i still have a few leftover product inside my uterus. And he scheduled me for D&C tomorrow :("

aw im sorry, good luck! hope you feel better soon

20th May '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting cunning cuniculi:</b>" aw im sorry, good luck! hope you feel better soon "</blockquote>

Thank you so much! Can't wait for everything to be over and move on. Xx

Mrs. Kelley ♥ +1.5 Due April 21; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Indiana 1948 posts
24th May '13

Lots of luck hun! I'm 6 weeks post m/c and still getting positive HPT's. They refuse to do anything about it as long as my levels are dropping, no matter how slow. :(