23 weeks & non-stop throwing up Jenn Reeves 17 kids; Piscataway Township, New Jersey 11 posts
21st May '13

Hey girls.. I am 23 weeks pregnant with my son and woke up this morning with a bad virus. I have not been able to stop throwing up nor can I keep any food or liquid down. My fiance just got over a virus himself this weekend so I am assuming I caught this from him. I am very worried about baby boy since I have not been able to eat or drink anything at all today. Should I go to the ER? What do you girls think?
Thanks!

Ivana, VBA2C success! 3 kids; Aurora, Colorado 6834 posts
21st May '13

If you have thrown up more than 4 times today and cannot keep anything down, yes go! you may need an IV. i am sure the baby is fine, though.

http://www.accountkiller. Minnesota 34665 posts
21st May '13

Because dehydration can lead to preterm labor and a host of other issues in pregnancy, I would recommend you go in. I had hyperemesis gravidarium the entirety of both of my pregnancies, and went in to be IVed soooo many times I stopped counting after 15!

Just go in, and they will check on baby, and probably give you some IVs.

Big D! Due October 7 (boy); 1 child; Escondido, California 9518 posts
21st May '13

No I don't think you should go to the ER unless you are severely dehydrated. Just keep trying to drink fluids and rest.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6571 posts
21st May '13

You can always call your ob to double check, but staying hydrated is very important during pregnancy. Especially in the later2nd and 3rd trimesters. If you can't keep anything down for at least an hour, you should probably get checked. One time I got food poisoning and they called in a prescription for meds to stop me from puking all over the place. They didn't work and I ended up having to go in and stay over night. It took them about 4 bags of IV fluids before i started being able to pee again.

Just the Sea's mom 1 child; Keokuk, IA, United States 1684 posts
21st May '13
Quoting Big D!:" No I don't think you should go to the ER unless you are severely dehydrated. Just keep trying to drink fluids and rest. "

she could get severly dehydrated since she can't keep fluids down.

OP,i say go in and get checked.

Big D! Due October 7 (boy); 1 child; Escondido, California 9518 posts
21st May '13
Quoting Princess Serenity's mommy:" she could get severly dehydrated since she can't keep fluids down. OP,i say go in and get checked."

Right... that's why I said unless she has signs of severe dehydration.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6571 posts
22nd May '13
Quoting Big D!:" Right... that's why I said unless she has signs of severe dehydration."

If she wasn't pregnant, I'd agree with you, but she is and it's different. Being a little dehydrated on a normal day without pregnancy = not a big deal. Being a little dehydrated while pregnant = pre term labor and other issues. It's sortof a no brainer IMO. Severe dehydration would be way too late to go get seen.