5 Year old DD at birth of sibling Lisa Lyon Due December 3 (boy); 3 kids; Nashville, Tennessee 455 posts
31st May '13

My DD will be 5 in August and I'm due in December. I was curious as to mamas thought or experience having an older sibling present during the birth of baby. Of course I wouldn't want her down there to see it all but up at my head.

Kiki's Mommy Due November 10 (girl); 1 child; Montana 3977 posts
31st May '13

I wouldn't. I would think it would scare them....especially if mommy looks like she is in pain....what if something gows wrong..

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
31st May '13

My oldest (who was 4.5 years old at the time) was supposed to be there but she had a cold and the hospital wouldn't let her be there.

She was going to be watching the actual birth. We prepped with videos and discussions about what was going to happen.

Freya D Due December 27; 1 child; Brookings, Oregon 1196 posts
31st May '13

we are doing a home birth next time and DS will be there he will be 2-4 years old. i dont see any thing wrong with letting them see the baby come out. I wont stop him if he wants to see but its not like we're going to make him look.

BαtMαɳ Gotham, __, United States 65586 posts
status 31st May '13

Pretty sure my 5 year old would pass out. He has seen birthing videos but I don't think he is emotionally mature enough to handle seeing something like that in person.

Leah+2 2 kids; Texas 5797 posts
31st May '13

My three year old may have to be present for the entire labor and delivery (my mom might not be able to watch him) and we watched a birthing show today and he wasn't scared, he was interested and asked a few questions.

He may be different since it'll be mommy but idk.

drunk faith1 1 child; Alabama 10081 posts
31st May '13

I won't be having another until my daughter is that age, and I want her to be there for a birth. It's a natural thing and I want her to know that and know about it. If I don't think she's mature enough to understand when I have my next, then she won't go, but I hope she is.

Lisa Lyon Due December 3 (boy); 3 kids; Nashville, Tennessee 455 posts
31st May '13

I go back and forth on it. My DH thinks she may not be ready. She's weak when it comes to blood and stuff lol. But I've thought about asking her if shed want to and if she does letting her watch videos and discuss everything with her. I think it'd be an experience for her. I'd love for my DS to be there he's 6 but were pretty private about girls see girls and boys see boys. So I'm not sure how we would approach that one.

31st May '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Lisa Lyon:</b>" I go back and forth on it. My DH thinks she may not be ready. She's weak when it comes to blood and stuff ... [snip!] ... there he's 6 but were pretty private about girls see girls and boys see boys. So I'm not sure how we would approach that one."</blockquote>

I walk around my son naked all the time so he's seen me naked but obviously not as extreme as in labor just changing and whatever. But he'll either be taken out of the room or if it's just me and my husband there to watch him he'll be up next to my head at the very least, if not out of the room for that if he gets scared. I'm not really sure how everything will go, nor will I be until I'm actually in the situation.

31st May '13

I've thought about lettong her be there and having someone outside just in case she can't handle it. I might start by first having a talk with her and see what she thinks. My son was molested by a family member so since then we've kept things real private with our bodies and the appropriate people that can see them. So I struggle with desiding if he should be in there. Its a weird emotion to sort thru when it comes to him. I know he'd love to I'm just not sure after what's happened to himnif its appropriate.

31st May '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Lisa Lyon:</b>" I've thought about lettong her be there and having someone outside just in case she can't handle it. ... [snip!] ... to sort thru when it comes to him. I know he'd love to I'm just not sure after what's happened to himnif its appropriate."</blockquote>

Ah. Yeah, definitely a tough situation with him. But honestly I'd ask him too and let him know that if at any point he or your daughter are uncomfortable there is someone in the waiting room or whatever to take them on a walk or something. He may feel left out if you don't at least ask.

1st Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Leah+1.5:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Lisa Lyon:</b>" I've thought about lettong her be there and ... [snip!] ... is someone in the waiting room or whatever to take them on a walk or something. He may feel left out if you don't at least ask."</blockquote>

Yea that's what I was thinking. He's the most excited about this baby. I wouldn't want him to feel that way.