2 year old natural vegetarian.... Mama to J ♥ 1 child; Atlanta, GA, United States 2039 posts
4th Jun '13

Do you think its possible for a 2 1/2 year old to be a natural vegetarian? My LO will be 3 in October and I cannot even count on one hand how many time she has eaten meat. She will refuse ravioli that has meat inside, just by the smell. She likes cheese. She will not eat chicken noodle bc of the chicken pieces. Even at 12 months old and on, she would NOT touch meat. She eats cheese, milk, greek yogurt, grains. Should I be doing something else for her? She also takes a daily flintstone vitamin. I've talked to her pedi, but she thinks she will grow out of it. She hasnt....Im worried for her health :(

She doesnt have another appt till 3 years..

ILOVEWINE Due April 24; 2 kids; Sweden 10814 posts
4th Jun '13

We are vegan, my kids get most of their protien from lentils. Meat is defintaly not a nessasary part of a human diet.

mrs jones ♥ 2 kids; Universal City, Texas 2682 posts
4th Jun '13

watching....DS seems to be the same way and he'll be 2 next month. For as long as I can remember, he doesn't really eat meat. He loves cheese and pasta as well but when it comes to meat, he's quick to spit it right back out

Allissa Specht 35 kids; Essexville, Michigan 5437 posts
4th Jun '13

This is my DD almost to a tee. She will eat chicken nuggets but refuses pretty much everything else. :)

ILOVEWINE Due April 24; 2 kids; Sweden 10814 posts
4th Jun '13

OP will she eat tofu?

lovemylittleladies 2 kids; Michigan 1271 posts
4th Jun '13

I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure she is getting beans, nuts, etc to get enough protein and greens to get vitamin k.

cn&i♥ 2 kids; Indiana 1019 posts
4th Jun '13

My parents said I'd rarely touch meat since I was about 5 years old. I've just never liked it or the thought of eating it. Maybe she'll grow out of it, maybe she won't. Keep up with the vitamins and give other foods that are a good source of protein such as beans, peanut butter, cheese, etc. She'll be okay :)

Mama to J ♥ 1 child; Atlanta, GA, United States 2039 posts
4th Jun '13

She will not eat tofu or any time of meat substitute. If it looks or smells like meat, she is quick to turn away.

She does eat nuts an sometimes salad. She hates any types of beans as well...:/

Subtle As A Hurricane 2 kids; Texas 4132 posts
4th Jun '13

I was exactly the same way as a child. I still eat that way over 20 years later, and I'm just fine. My mom always thought I would grow out of it, but I never did.

Monsters² Mom 2 kids; 4 angel babies; Dahlgren, VA, United States 5059 posts
4th Jun '13

Dh, DD and I are all vegetarians. She gets her protein from lentils, beans, tofu and cheese. You don't need meat to have a balanced diet.

Live-Laugh-Love 3 kids; Kitchener, ON, Canada 8247 posts
status 4th Jun '13
Quoting ILOVEWINE:" We are vegan, my kids get most of their protien from lentils. Meat is defintaly not a nessasary part of a human diet."

:!::!:
My son is 3 and will not touch meat but he loves raw nuts, eggs, beans/lentils, greek yogurt etc.

SemiCharmed 2 kids; Oklahoma 12047 posts
4th Jun '13

Honestly, meat isn't that good for you anyway. There is no real reason why a person should eat meat. Most studies show it is healthy not to, especially red meat. I recently read an article about the crazy amount of bacteria like E. Coli and MRSA in meats. So if she isn't into meat, all the better really.

It's wonderful that she is eating such healthy foods. Doesn't like it will be an issue but ask your doctor.

cn&i♥ 2 kids; Indiana 1019 posts
4th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mama to J ♥:</b>" She will not eat tofu or any time of meat substitute. If it looks or smells like meat, she is quick to turn away. She does eat nuts an sometimes salad. She hates any types of beans as well...:/"</blockquote>

Have you tried lentils? My mom makes like a soup type of thing and will boil them with tomatoes and onion. Have you tried refried beans? Or like quesadillas with a bit of refried beans in them?

Sammiewhammy 5 kids; Tracy, CA, United States 515 posts
4th Jun '13

My oldest daughter was the same exact way! She wanted NO PART of meat whatsoever for the first 3 years. Nothing! I couldn't even bribe her to eat it. One evening my husband made porkchops in soysauce (something he made up) and she tried it, and liked it! But that was the only meat she would even eat for the next 2 years. Then she tried chicken nuggets and slowly she did grow out of her meat aversion.

Your pediatrician does have a good point, she probably will grow out of it. My daughter eventually did. I think to some kids, meat is an "acquired" taste. Does she like scrambled eggs? Everything you're doing to supplement her protein is awesome though (especially the Greek yogurt!).

It can be challenging but try not to worry too much. :)

Mommy to B&B 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 944 posts
4th Jun '13

My 2.5 year old DD has never liked meat even at 7 months when we would shred it for her....she sometimes eats chicken nuggets but its rare.....she doesn't like beans,eggs,or anything the only way she gets protein is peanut butter!!! She eats it at least 4 or 5 times a week..I talked to her pedi and he said some kids are just picky and she might or might not grow out of it. She's healthy and that's all that matters