18 months. help! I'm going crazy. ShockersShufflers 19 kids; Iowa 1501 posts
7th Jun '13

LO is 18 months old.
I've posted this before but things are worse.
He will not go to bed. if he us in how toddler bed he will climb into our bed in the middle of the night. that's a big no no.
he takes a bottle to bed.
I'm feeLing like I'm failing. this totally sucks.

he used to go right to bed.
now its screaming and temper tantrums and CRYING CRYING CRYING.

I'm about to pull my hair out.

everyone tells me to give him time. he's adjusting.

I'm on maternity leave so he doesn't go to daycare anymore and that's a huge change considering he went Monday thru Friday for 11 hours a day before.
also the new baby is here so that's a change.

ugh. what should i do? how can i get him to go to bed at night without screaming like I'm killing him.

like I'm my breaking point.
i would never hurt my children...but i now fully understand why they tell parents to set children down and walk away until YOU calm down.

I'm questioning my parenting now.. lol. and i know I'm a good parent.

any advice for bed time?

and he's throwing tantrums during the day. they are terrible. he just screams and screams and cries.

SO thinks he's just trying to get his way. a SO is big on the whole punishing at a young age thing. I'm a little softer.
SO thinks we should do timeouts and such. we don't spank very often.we have on occasion.
is SO right? is he just testing limits? trying to get his way? is he trying to control us?

any input is appreciated. I'm seriously at my wits end.

I'm tired and i have an every dayyyyyyyy headache.

i just wish he would sleep like he did before the baby was born. i could deal with the daily tantrums if he would just sleep through the damn night.
well not just sleep through the night..initially our biggest issue is just going to bed in the first place.

any ideas on bedtime routine..

sorry this was so long and for any typos. I'm on my phone and dead to the world.

NopeNotGonnaDOIt 6 kids; Cuba 3000 posts
7th Jun '13

what is your bedtime routine right now?

I Stab People 3 kids; Zambia 6604 posts
7th Jun '13

he probably just wants to be the baby, completely normal. i have a 18 month old too i dont know what id do with another!! my first 2 are 20 months apart but i was younger then lol

ShockersShufflers 19 kids; Iowa 1501 posts
7th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mama❍:</b>" what is your bedtime routine right now?"</blockquote>

we make supper at 6 eat at 630
bath at 7
pajama and play/read at 730
bed at 8
very cut and dry.

but now he screams and cries until 1030-11

MommaOfTwoLovies 2 kids; Massachusetts 7041 posts
7th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting ShockersShufflers:</b>" LO is 18 months old. I've posted this before but things are worse. He will not go to bed. if he us in ... [snip!] ... first place. any ideas on bedtime routine.. sorry this was so long and for any typos. I'm on my phone and dead to the world."</blockquote>

Why not just co-sleep?

NopeNotGonnaDOIt 6 kids; Cuba 3000 posts
7th Jun '13
Quoting ShockersShufflers:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Mama❍:</b>" what is your bedtime routine right now?"</blockquote> ... [snip!] ... at 6 eat at 630 bath at 7 pajama and play/read at 730 bed at 8 very cut and dry. but now he screams and cries until 1030-11"

aww, well it did take my son a few weeks to adjust to the new baby. He wouldn't scream and cry once he was in bed though but we made sure to give him extra snuggles when we could. The hardest part for him was that my husband had to put him to bed most nights because I was nursing the LO. Or when I was able to go in and lay with him for a bit, the baby would start to cry and I would have to leave. He would get so upset :( He got used to it eventually but he was almost 3.
Can you maybe put a gate up in his doorway so he can't get out? Otherwise I would upgrade him to a twin bed and just lay with him until he calms down.

ShockersShufflers 19 kids; Iowa 1501 posts
7th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mama❍:</b>" aww, well it did take my son a few weeks to adjust to the new baby. He wouldn't scream and cry once ... [snip!] ... up in his doorway so he can't get out? Otherwise I would upgrade him to a twin bed and just lay with him until he calms down. "</blockquote>

that's a good idea. I am not against Co sleeping, i just don't think it's for me. i think i might upgrade to a twin bed. i don't mind laying with him..i just don't want him to sleep with
us all night.