36 weeks and 3 cm dilated.... pctaylor Due July 6 (girl); Austin, Texas 6 posts
10th Jun '13

This is my second child. I was 4 cm dilated at 38 weeks with my son and he came a week early. I just had my 36 week appt and I am 3 cm dilated.

Will this baby come early? Do you normally dilate this early? I wish I would have asked my doctor, but she had an emergency so she left before I could ask...

.Christin. 1 child; Florida 1351 posts
10th Jun '13

I'd say (s)he is going to come early like your last baby but there is really no way to know for sure. I gave birth a week early and was dilated to a 3.

[♥]Mrs. Taylor 18 kids; Texas 12250 posts
10th Jun '13

With my first I didn't get past a 1 until after my water was broken in the hospital by my doctor.

With this pregnancy I've been dilated to a 3 since 33 weeks. I'll be 38 weeks this Friday. You can progress slowly or quickly.. just depends on if you're having lots of contractions or not.

Casey Cruz Due July 14 (girl); 2 kids; Florida 34 posts
10th Jun '13

Lucky you!! I'm hoping I am going to be dilated either 2 or 3 when I go on Thursday, ill be 36 weeks then. I would say, it sounds like your baby is on his or her way soon!!

Christan_89 2 kids; Grapevine, Texas 8043 posts
10th Jun '13

I think that's pretty normal with a second one. My doctor was kinda surprised to see that I wasn't dilated/effaced at all with my second by that time.

S & S *20weeks* Due December 29 (boy); 16 kids; Larouche, Quebec 1123 posts
10th Jun '13
Quoting pctaylor:" This is my second child. I was 4 cm dilated at 38 weeks with my son and he came a week early. I just ... [snip!] ... you normally dilate this early? I wish I would have asked my doctor, but she had an emergency so she left before I could ask..."

At 37 weeks your baby is full term so I wouldn't worry. Just one more week!

Christan_89 2 kids; Grapevine, Texas 8043 posts
10th Jun '13
Quoting S & S *10weeks*:" At 37 weeks your baby is full term so I wouldn't worry. Just one more week!"

Not quite. At 37 weeks, your baby is TERM, meaning, developed to the point of delivery, more than likely with no issues. At 40 weeks, your baby is FULL TERM, meaning, ready to go.

mom to 2 beautiful preemi 2 kids; Missouri 441 posts
10th Jun '13

It could go either way... My first I was 36 and 5 days and high firm and closed... Few hours later water broke and I was 3 cm when I was admitted. My second I was 5 cm and 80% effaced at 35 weeks and gave birth at 36 and 5 days again. Right now I'm 36 and 3 days and only 1 1/2 cm and 30% effaced.... Idk if she will be the same time as her sisters were or later. My doc said u can stay a certain way for weeks which doesn't sound fun lol hope if ur baby does come really soon that ur delivery n recovery for u n baby go smoothly