3 yr old not eating IMAMOM 4 kids; Crestview, FL, United States 1500 posts
19th Jun '13

DD will be 4 in september and lately has decided she doesn't need to eat. She will eat one bite if that and not anymore of her meal or food. She used to eat really well, now she's not into it. Is this normal? Is there anything I can give her to supplement her? Pediasure is very expensive for what you get($9 for 8 bottles). If I do get pediasure she has that once a day right?

MomDIA TTC since May 2008; 81 kids; Warminster, Pennsylvania 3812 posts
19th Jun '13

Ask her if her tummy is bothering her or make a pedi appointment. At that age they don't have the mentality to starve themselves if they are hungry they will eat. Keep her hydrated of course, water, pedialyte, etc.

dbailey 2 kids; Arkansas 3736 posts
19th Jun '13

My oldest dd does this all the time and she's nearly 4. She goes thru phases when she eats a ton and then the next week she'll survive on a yogurt/fruit a day :roll: She's always been in the lowest percentile and her pedi said not to buy the expensive Pediasure. Instead get the Carnation Goodstart powder and add a teaspoon or so to her milk. It's like 5 dollars and in the cereal aisle. Lasts a really long time because you're not using so much. Don't give so much that she is satisfied with just that and doesn't want to eat. Just enough the she gets some nutrition

IMAMOM 4 kids; Crestview, FL, United States 1500 posts
19th Jun '13
Quoting dbailey:" My oldest dd does this all the time and she's nearly 4. She goes thru phases when she eats a ton and ... [snip!] ... much. Don't give so much that she is satisfied with just that and doesn't want to eat. Just enough the she gets some nutrition"

Thank you, this gives me hope and saves me money :-)

Buzz and Almond Joys momm 2 kids; Albuquerque, New Mexico 12593 posts
19th Jun '13

My oldest did this for years. We did do pediasure until we realized ensure was the exact same thing just cheaper. ( ask your dr before switching though) we did it once a day and it atleast helped him not get "sick" from not eating