Sorry this is so long...
There is a hospital 1.5 hours away that is hell to give birth in...Trinity it's called. You share rooms, DH can't stay with you (can only be there from 1 pm to 8 pm), you give birth in one room and they move you to the next, nurses have always been a*****es, etc. MedCenter is 3 hours away and is the exact opposite - no sharing rooms, DH and family can stay with you the whole time, you get a birthing suite, nurses are great,etc. I had my first child at Trinity, and my second child at MedCenter after I went to Trinity at 2:00 am with contractions that were progressing and the doctor wanted to give me medication to stop my contractions and then he would come in and deliver me in the morning. No thanks. I went to MedCenter that night and my daughter was born two hours later. I continued to drive the 3 hours for my 3rd child and my 4th child, although I didn't make it to MedCenter with my 4th child and ended up stopping at Trinity because of placenta previa and blood loss.
Fast forward to now. I started this pregnancy going to Trinity up until I was 18 weeks. I had argued with my doctor about my due dates because I knew when I conceived, etc. I had 8 ultrasounds due to various problems. At my 20 week ultrasound I was told to come back because I was not as far as they thought I was (duh, I argued this before) and by now I'm pissed...8 ultrasounds and you people just now realized this? Is anyone even reading these? I switched to MedCenter, have had no problems except now my doctor is on vacation basically nonstop. I am scheduled to go in this Friday to see if we can turn this baby who has a cord wrapped around his neck (so turning isn't likely). I also was under the impression that I would have a csection on Friday if they couldn't turn him. I called today because I am absolutely miserable. In horrible pain due to how he's laying, I've been contracting since last Monday, etc. to see if there was any possible way she could see me tomorrow or Thursday. Her nurse said she was on vacation (she's been on vacation the last 2 weeks) and won't be back until Thursday, which is her scheduled c-section day and she sees no patients then. The nurse then went on to tell me that I'd better find a way to get comfortable because the only day she does c-sections is Thursday and because next Thursday is the 4th, she'll be on vacation and I'll have to wait until the 11th.
I'm nearing tears, probably because I haven't slept in forever. I doubt I could just switch to another doctor within their office because when I went in to L&D for contractions last Monday, the doctor on call said he absolutely wouldn't try to turn the baby or give me anything unless I dilated past a 5...that was for my doctor to do. I'm tempted to switch to Trinity again. Would you? And what do I say when I call them?
There's no harm in calling and seeing if you can switch to a different dr/hospital. Explain to them why you would want to switch and tell them that you have fear for this current ob
You can try... but most doctors have a quota each month and 99% of doctors are probably full already. I had a really hard time finding a new doctor at 18 weeks because of this.
Imo go to whatever hospital you want to give birth in when you are in labor. Lol. I had to give birth in de, the state i live in for adoption, but the doctor i saw could only deliver in md. I went to de when i was in labor.
Arent there some yoga poses you are try to do to flip the baby, are you sure the cord is around the neck?
If I had to deal with that, I would run to the arms of a midwife and have a homebirth in a hearbeat.
Quoting Smokey_Taboo:" Arent there some yoga poses you are try to do to flip the baby, are you sure the cord is around the neck? ... [snip!] ... the neck? If I had to deal with that, I would run to the arms of a midwife and have a homebirth in a hearbeat. goodluck mama. "
Tried everything on spinningbabies.com...I even tried the chiropractor. No go. I'm not SURE the cord is wrapped around his neck, but from my ultrasound last week it still was. I think he isn't turning because his cord is wrapped around his neck...my other kids were born at 27, 32, 34, and 36 weeks. I just think that has to have something to do with why I've been contracting (my cervix has changed) but haven't gone into labor yet.
Forgot to add the midwives aren't an option for me. I tried with my second, they wouldn't take me due to how many preemies I've had and a homebirth isn't even an option in this po-dunk place.
Have you tried a professional massage or chiro? You're so close to the end here that you could be dilating as we type. If you hate the other hospital, then it's not worth it IMO to birth there. But if you are firm with your caregivers about what you want and just go home early then it could be an ok experience. I think it kind of depends on the specifics of what you hated about it. You could get checked at the nearby hospital and when you are on your way to active labor you an head to the other one.
I would def see about switching! I would suggest just going there when you are in labor, but I dont know how that would work if you need a section before hand... either way, good luck! it sounds like a difficult position to be in.
Quoting Mrs. Daniel:" Have you tried a professional massage or chiro? You're so close to the end here that you could be dilating ... [snip!] ... it. You could get checked at the nearby hospital and when you are on your way to active labor you an head to the other one."
Yep...it did nothing. Like I said I think it's because of the cord. I know every pregnancy is different but I never had this problem with my other kids whatsoever. It's beyond frustrating. I just can't imagine going another 2 weeks like this. It is incredibly painful to lay on my sides (his head is under my ribs), laying on my back makes me dizzy, sitting up I get pain in my back and nerve pain that shoots down the inside of my thigh...I'm just miserable.
I spent a lot of my final days leaning over the bed/couch/birthing ball. If you're in that much pain do whatever you need to do to feel better. Sending you labor vibes mama.
Quoting Mrs. Daniel:" I spent a lot of my final days leaning over the bed/couch/birthing ball. If you're in that much pain do whatever you need to do to feel better. Sending you labor vibes mama."
Was yours breech until birth? This has been so frustrating for me. I've never had on/off contractions or contractions that didn't progress. I've had contractions since Monday and while they're regular, they just don't get any closer or any worse. It's almost like my body is TRYING to go into labor but because of his position, it won't. Can that happen?
f**k that I would switch doctors right away. The part that scares me is that your baby has the cord around his ne k and nobody seems concern. Please switch doctors. They sound like full of shit and that is stupid that she is always on vacation. Like when do the hell she even be there. Onve a month? Seems like she stays on vacation.