1 year old dos and donts? Bennett_Babe 1 child; 3 angel babies; Arizona 745 posts
30th Jun '13

So my baby boy just turned one and I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. Is he still supposed to be drinking formula? If not (or if im supposed to be weaning him off of formula) what can I give him instead to put him down for naps? Also I know I'm supposed to switch off bottles for sippys but how soon? and I'm started to wean him off of binkies too, so far hes doing alright except for at night

taking a look at life Palm beach gardens, FL, United States 49057 posts
30th Jun '13

no whole milk they need the cal's or there is toddler formula.

My daughter has a milk allgery and has to get peptamen jr because almond and coconut milk do not give her enough cal's...

Im waiting on it to come it.

I was told this by a GI dr last week.

Always♥Faithful 2 kids; CHERRY POINT, North Carolina 21661 posts
30th Jun '13

At a year, usually its recommended to switch to whole milk. Water is best to be given at nap and bedtime of you are giving anything at all.

30th Jun '13

bootles were gone by 9 months with my son my daughter weened right at a yr. I threw them all away one day and never looked back she is fine now... Binky is another story, try water at night and not milk it can cause bottle rot.

Bennett_Babe 1 child; 3 angel babies; Arizona 745 posts
30th Jun '13
Quoting Always♥Faithful:" At a year, usually its recommended to switch to whole milk. Water is best to be given at nap and bedtime of you are giving anything at all."

Yeah I know about the whole milk I just wasn't sure about giving that to him to sleep... that would get a bit gross. But water was what I was planning on giving him instead but I wasn't sure if that was alright

Always♥Faithful 2 kids; CHERRY POINT, North Carolina 21661 posts
30th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting RissaBbyGurl:</b>" Yeah I know about the whole milk I just wasn't sure about giving that to him to sleep... that would ... [snip!] ... that would get a bit gross. But water was what I was planning on giving him instead but I wasn't sure if that was alright"</blockquote>

The milk is no more gross than giving formula to go to sleep, imo.

Sara❥ TTC since May 2014; 1 child; Sumter, South Carolina 8714 posts
30th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting RissaBbyGurl:</b>" Yeah I know about the whole milk I just wasn't sure about giving that to him to sleep... that would ... [snip!] ... that would get a bit gross. But water was what I was planning on giving him instead but I wasn't sure if that was alright"</blockquote>

You have to wean them off the formula onto the cows milk so their tummy doesn't get upset. Start replacing one oz of formula with cows milk.

We took the paci away at 9 months, just threw them out. It was bad for like 3 days and then he forgot all about it. We took the bottle at 10 months and I've never laid him down with any liquid but if you are give them water like someone else suggest.

Vitameatavegamin 19 kids; League City, Texas 5829 posts
30th Jun '13
Quoting RissaBbyGurl:" Yeah I know about the whole milk I just wasn't sure about giving that to him to sleep... that would ... [snip!] ... that would get a bit gross. But water was what I was planning on giving him instead but I wasn't sure if that was alright"

How is it any more gross than formula? :?
Also, you can switch to sippy cups now. I think usually it's recommended to start the transition from bottle to sippy around 7 months.

(BTW, I totally misread the title when I clicked, lol, I thought it said '1 year old and donuts', haha)

30th Jun '13
Quoting Lady GooGoo
Sara❥ TTC since May 2014; 1 child; Sumter, South Carolina 8714 posts
30th Jun '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Click Me Click Me!!!:</b>" so did i but i re read it lol"</blockquote>

!! Me too. Lol

I was completely sad to, as I really wanted to see a child and a donut. :)

Vitameatavegamin 19 kids; League City, Texas 5829 posts
30th Jun '13
Quoting Click Me Click Me!!!:" so did i but i re read it lol"

I didn't re-read it until I read the OP. I was like "Wait... what does this have to do with donuts? Ooooooh okay" lol.

Meℓony ♥ 1 child; Huntsville, AL, United States 3798 posts
30th Jun '13

DD was getting off formula at 11 months (half formula, half milk). She would not take formula after 12-13ish months. Time for more table foods, nothing hard and nothing too gummy. She took sippy cups at 12 months.