Brief version of the backstory ... Dh has colon cancer. It's genetic. Boys have a 50% chance of getting the mutation which would guarentee colon cancer for them by 30-40 if untreated. It also increases chances of cancer globally by 20%. There's a long complicated list of cancers that the boys will be tested for throughout their life. Until the boys bloodwork comes back probably in august sometime.. maybe september. Anyway, in the meantime, they're going through the cancer monitoring tests until/if they get cleared.
Ok! so ... Dh is being treated right now. It's early stage cancer, but it still means that there's an extremely high chance of him needing his colon and possibly rectum removed soon. It's more likely than unlikely at this point. We switched to danah farber recently and they'll be redoing the colonoscopy to tattoo where the colon needs to be removed and do an upper scope (endoscope?) at the same time of his stomach/small intestines.
No one has been spelunking down there since early March and no one has looked at his upper intestines/stomach at all yet. I'm pretty nervous about the next appointment. We got the call today that they're scheduling it for Aug 28th.
Whew finally... right?
Well ... it's the first day of kindergarten for my son. You've got to be kidding me. It took over a month to get the appointment because it has to be 2 dr's doing it at once (upper gi guy and colon dr) I am so stressed.
Rescheduling it is a bad option and so is missing my son's first day of school. Not to mention having both on the same day might make me have a stroke or something. :shock:
I wonder if you could call the school and explain what's going on... maybe they will let him start on the following day and still make a big deal about it, just as if it were the first day?
What times do both start? Would it be possible to drop LO off at School then go to the appointment?
I'm going to be calling the school during nap time when i can hear myself think. I mean there has to be something we can do. He's super nervous about it. He's never been to school before.. that he can remember anyway. He was under 2 when he was in daycare for a bit. Since then it's been the 4 of us here. I've been doing the SAHM thing.
The check in at the hospital is at 6:45am and it's an hour away. Surgery starts at 9am. It's a double whammy so I'm thinking it's going to take at least most of the day. They're hoping (although it's unlikely) that they can remove the 50+ polyps during surgery. If it goes well, it will take a *long* time. If it doesn't go well, it should only take a couple of hours.
Quoting Summerfrost:" I'm going to be calling the school during nap time when i can hear myself think. I mean there has to ... [snip!] ... during surgery. If it goes well, it will take a *long* time. If it doesn't go well, it should only take a couple of hours."
I'm sure they will figure something out!
How about you all drop your husband off in the hospital, you take LO to school and then meet husband back in the hospital and wait for him to get out? If he isn't out before it's time to pick him up, just get him or have someone else do it?
The school's closed because of the holiday. I'll have to try on monday.
Just realized I never updated this. My son's school is all set. It ended up being the kindergarten screening was on that day and not the first day (whew), so we just had to reschedule for the day before dh's colonoscopy. It's going to be a busy week though. I'm just glad I won't have to feel torn about wanting/needing to be in 2 places at once.