9 month old acting really different? Irish Twins Mama ♥ 2 kids; Iowa 2147 posts
16th Jul '13

My 9 month old is usually a pretty happy baby unless he needs something but for the past 3 days, he has been throwing fits nonstop. He will be fed, changed, and we will try to hold him or let him play--nothing works. He will throw himself down and scream and cry. He gets into this funk for 30 minutes to 2 hours and then he'll randomly play again like he's fine. He hasn't been able to go to sleep on his own, we've had to rock him to sleep for every nap and at bedtime. I haven't noticed much out of the ordinary besides maybe that he has the hiccups a little more than usual and he spit up three times yesterday (just spit up though).

I am going crazy, I have no idea how to help him? :l

Mama2(three)Boys ♥ 3 kids; New Jersey 9672 posts
16th Jul '13

My youngest acts like that when he's teething. He's 16 months and is cutting two molars and has been screaming at nap and bedtime and not eating well and is even spitting up.

Is it possible he's cutting a tooth?

Mara Due September 27 (girl); 2 kids; San Francisco, California 38964 posts
16th Jul '13

teething is the logical explanation.

it might be something else, but check his gums to see if they're swollen / extra red.

also, if he's extra drooly that's a clue that it's teething.

Irish Twins Mama ♥ 2 kids; Iowa 2147 posts
16th Jul '13

I checked his gums and saw nothing yesterday morning, but I will check again. I have been using his amber teething necklace to try and help him, I don't wanna overload him with Tylenol.

Seth-y-Felicia 1 child; Washington 157 posts
16th Jul '13

Struggling with attachment and independence right now, perhaps?

16th Jul '13
Quoting Seth-y-Felicia:" Struggling with attachment and independence right now, perhaps?"

It crossed my mind. He does seem like he's throwing a tantrum when he's crying..but sometimes it seems like pain. So I really don't know.

16th Jul '13
Quoting Just Ames:" He is also old enough for Ibuprofen but have you tried teething tablets?"

I'm not really into the idea of Ibuprofen and no, I have not tried the teething tablets yet.

Shelby Chappell Due November 29 (girl); 1 child; Alberta 1575 posts
17th Jul '13

My 9mo went through a week where he was just not himself at all. He was the biggest grump in the world. Many ladies also suggested teething. His teeth are so close to cutting through but still refuse to poke through. He's back to his usual self now, thank goodness.