Cast Your Vote:

• eat soap -- Votes: 4
    • time out -- Votes: 4
    • disscusion -- Votes: 13
    • take away privledges -- Votes: 13
    • spank -- Votes: 2
    • other please explain -- Votes: 3
7 y/o saying bad words K and N TTC since Nov 2012; 2 kids; Denver City, Texas 1890 posts
16th Jul '13

She keeps cussing. What do you do/ would you do?

We don't say bad words in front of her. (If we do it's on a very rare occasion, and it just slips, but even then we explain to her that it's ugly, and say sorry for using it).

She says them just to say them... when she's mad, when she's bored, and just a minute ago she started singing every bad word she could possible have thought of, and didn't think I could hear her. I made her eat soap this time.

......................... Oregon 14226 posts
16th Jul '13

I have an eat soap policy. My husband has a hot sauce policy.

I usually win, but he succeeded once. My daughter never cussed after that.

Instead she follows him around with her little finger out, if he cusses she says, "Come here and get a little taste daddy!"

user banned 2 kids; Bat Cave, North Carolina 64587 posts
16th Jul '13

We haven't had that issue but I'd discuss it AND take away privileges.

We discuss every punishment and talk about why the action wasn't okay, but that on it's own isn't a punishment.

ashley + 2 2 kids; Nebraska 1658 posts
16th Jul '13

I wouldn't make her eat soap, just because I don't agree with that. My son is 7 and he'll occasionally slip a bad word and I just tell him it's not acceptable. He apologizes and we move past it. I don't think it's something to make a huge deal of because that tends to create bigger problems. Have a discussion with her of why you don't use those words and if that doesn't work send her to her room/take away privileges.

♀NoBoysAllowed 19 kids; San Diego, California 51862 posts
16th Jul '13

As a first resort, discussion. If it persists, time out. If it continues after that, taking away privileges.

I would never, ever make them eat soap. That will give them diarrhea, which will dehydrate them. Purposely making your children physically ill is abuse, IMO.
Spanking is whatever, but to me I don't think it fits the crime.

[♥]Mrs. Taylor 18 kids; Texas 12250 posts
16th Jul '13

I would probably start out with a discussion and time out. Then if she kept doing it I would take away privileges, and then if she still didn't stop I would do the soap thing.

But I wouldn't tell her what punishment was coming next. Like I wouldn't say "if you say that again I'll take away ......."

. , Richmond, VA, United States 74788 posts
16th Jul '13

I'd just continue to tell her that they aren't appropriate to use. Tell her to think of alternative (appropriate) words to use when she's angry. I would never make my LO eat soap.

3sACrowd 3 kids; Alaska 3391 posts
16th Jul '13
Quoting ♀NoBoysAllowed:" As a first resort, discussion. If it persists, time out. If it continues after that, taking away privileges. ... [snip!] ... Purposely making your children physically ill is abuse, IMO. Spanking is whatever, but to me I don't think it fits the crime."

:!:

All of this.

LA REINA™ New York, NY, United States 16286 posts
16th Jul '13
Quoting The Original Mayhem.:" We haven't had that issue but I'd discuss it AND take away privileges. We discuss every punishment and talk about why the action wasn't okay, but that on it's own isn't a punishment."

:!:

Momma x 2 18 kids; Whiskey Dick Mountain, WA, United States 1371 posts
16th Jul '13
Quoting ♀NoBoysAllowed:" As a first resort, discussion. If it persists, time out. If it continues after that, taking away privileges. ... [snip!] ... Purposely making your children physically ill is abuse, IMO. Spanking is whatever, but to me I don't think it fits the crime."

:!::!::!::!::!: I agree, minus the spanking part. I completely disagree with harming your child to change an unwanted behaviour.

Stephany ♡ 1 child; Chesterfield, New Hampshire 2534 posts
16th Jul '13

Umm I would never make my child eat soap. Even if it was just a lick or taste. That's just gross. But whatever not my kid. I would probably just ignore it. If you make a big deal out of it, it can make the situation worse.

Ravey Candyass 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Boston, Massachusetts 104048 posts
status 16th Jul '13

i'd use soap as a last resort. and hot sauce isn't any better IMO. don't get me wrong, I've mde chub bite soap before, but i'd do everything else first.

......................... Oregon 14226 posts
16th Jul '13
Quoting Ravey Candyass:" i'd use soap as a last resort. and hot sauce isn't any better IMO. don't get me wrong, I've mde chub bite soap before, but i'd do everything else first."

We did too. It was a last resort and curbed it so quick.

My oldest was a lot harder to get to stop cussing. We had to make up silly words.

user banned (boy); 2 kids; Fucking, Austria 36337 posts
16th Jul '13

I'd take away privileges/stuff.

I'd never give them soap..

user banned California 36390 posts
16th Jul '13

Ignore it. IMO, spanking is wrong and soap/hot sauce is fucked up. She'll stop when it's not getting a rise out of anyone.