8 month old waking every 3 hours DeeDa's Mummy TTC since Jul 2014; 1 child; Dartmouth, United Kingdom 253 posts
21st Jul '13

my DD is 8 1/2 months old and wakes up every 3 hours for a 6-7 ounce bottle. she goes to bed at 7ish. weighs 15lbs 12ounces (dunno if that changes anything) how do i cut down her feeds?

i dont expect her 2 go all night but 8 months of this is starting to take its toll!

RonniG Due July 19; 1 child; Plentywood, Montana 2036 posts
21st Jul '13

Give water instead of formula (this can be done gradually by diluting), consider CIO. Your baby does not need to eat at all during the night at that age.

vagina. 3 kids; Titz, No, Germany 30924 posts
21st Jul '13

I always fed on demand.

My kids..well my oldest two are 4 and 2..they didn't sleep though the night until they were about 14-15 months.

Formula/breastmilk should be their "main" nutrition until they're 1.

Maybe it's a growth spurt? 15lbs at 8 months isn't that much..it's not like she's 30lbs or something. My 3 month old is a little over 14lbs lol.

21st Jul '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting RonniG:</b>" Give water instead of formula (this can be done gradually by diluting), consider CIO. Your baby does not need to eat at all during the night at that age."</blockquote>

They're 8 months old..not 6. If they wake up hungry..let them eat. How do you know their not hungry? It's not like they can tell you.
And if they don't spit it back up..who's to say they weren't hungry?

DeeDa's Mummy TTC since Jul 2014; 1 child; Dartmouth, United Kingdom 253 posts
21st Jul '13
Quoting i made a vagina.:" I always fed on demand. My kids..well my oldest two are 4 and 2..they didn't sleep though the night ... [snip!] ... spurt? 15lbs at 8 months isn't that much..it's not like she's 30lbs or something. My 3 month old is a little over 14lbs lol."

im not wanting her 2 sleep through the night just maybe miss out the 11pm one.
dont thinh its a growth spurt as its always been this way :/

shes alway been on the small side.. she was born 5weeks early and weighed 4lb 6.

21st Jul '13
Quoting i made a vagina.:" <blockquote><b>Quoting RonniG:</b>" Give water instead of formula (this can be done ... [snip!] ... know their not hungry? It's not like they can tell you. And if they don't spit it back up..who's to say they weren't hungry?"

I'm pretty sure I didn't say she should in no way ever feed her kid at night. She asked for advice, I gave it.. After 6 months a baby does not medically NEED to eat at night. My only point....

thewarmth 3 kids; South Carolina 14438 posts
21st Jul '13

I always fed on demand with mine.
Well my first at least.
My second is 5 months and doesn't "ask" for bottles in the middle of the night like my first did. All babies are different, and have different needs.
Who said 8 month olds don't have to eat in the middle of the night?
I was still giving my oldest bottles in the middle of the night at a year, and she is a happy, healthy 3 year old that sleeps all night.
Just tough through it momma, being a mom isn't easy, but at least she is soothed with the bottle. Some babies wake up and cry and nothing soothes them. Count your blessings.

Also, my first that wanted night bottles, was born 5 weeks early too - so it might be a premie thing, never bothered me much.

thewarmth 3 kids; South Carolina 14438 posts
21st Jul '13
Quoting RonniG:" I'm pretty sure I didn't say she should in no way ever feed her kid at night. She asked for advice, I gave it.. After 6 months a baby does not medically NEED to eat at night. My only point...."

Yeah, babies don't medically need a lot of things that they should have anyway, ya know? Its comfort, and something she will grow out of. Western moms really have it A LOT easier than other moms. Sometimes we lose sight of how easy we have it.

I'm His Amy He's My Rory 2 kids; Caldwell, Idaho 49283 posts
21st Jul '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting RonniG:</b>" Give water instead of formula (this can be done gradually by diluting), consider CIO. Your baby does not need to eat at all during the night at that age."</blockquote>

Yes, they do. I'd hate to be your kid. Jerk.

OP, just feed her she obviously needs it. My son woke up every 90 minutes to 2 hours to nurse until he was 10 months. Then he still woke up a few nights a week for boobies.

I'm His Amy He's My Rory 2 kids; Caldwell, Idaho 49283 posts
21st Jul '13

You could also try sleep training if you are comfortable with it.

21st Jul '13

I'm not a jerk because I parent differently.. No, I didn't feed my 8 month old infant all night long. I don't judge you because you do.. It's entirely possible that a baby of that age is waking up for reasons other than to eat and can be comforted without being fed every 3 hours. Not everyone chooses to self wean.

21st Jul '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting thewarmth:</b>" Yeah, babies don't medically need a lot of things that they should have anyway, ya know? Its comfort, ... [snip!] ... she will grow out of. Western moms really have it A LOT easier than other moms. Sometimes we lose sight of how easy we have it."</blockquote>

:!:

21st Jul '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Helen Bodinnar:</b>" im not wanting her 2 sleep through the night just maybe miss out the 11pm one. dont thinh its a growth ... [snip!] ... growth spurt as its always been this way :/ shes alway been on the small side.. she was born 5weeks early and weighed 4lb 6. "</blockquote>

Well, that's 11 pounds from her birth weight & that's awesome! Honestly!

Does she eat any solids? I never noticed a difference with my kids sleeping habits after having food. But some people say it works..

If you try just rocking her back to sleep instead of giving her a bottle, will she go back to sleep?

Tara plus 3! Due October 10 (girl); 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Missouri 2773 posts
21st Jul '13

Hmmm.. that's a hard one. I would say maybe give more and he/she won't wake up as often but 6/7 oz is already a lot. Both of my kids slept the whole night from like 3-4 months on without waking to eat. I'm sorry I'm not much help. I would just maybe give her/him 8 oz at bedtime and maybe that will help hold the baby over longer. I'm sure by 10 months it will be a lot better.

Bambi78 1 child; United Kingdom 1710 posts
21st Jul '13

mine self weaned off the night bottles around 8-9 months. but he had already dropped the middle of the night feed. Does she eat all the milk? If she just takes a bit then its a sleep association problem. if shes eating it i guess shes hungry. Can you up her milk volume in the day? Mine eats every 2 hours in the day like this:
7am breakfast (porridge and toast)
9am milk 7oz
11am snack - varies. usually fruit or vegetables/ sometimes rice cakes.
1pm dinner. bowl of food plus dessert and then i do him some finger foods. usually some cut up veg/fruit or some crisps.
3pm milk 7oz
5pm same as dinner.
7pm milk 8oz.

Dunno if thats any help. Hes 23lb if that makes any difference i dont know.

edit-- hes 10 months now