27 weeks and baby is measuring small K&A's Mom Due October 22 (girl); 2 kids; Knoxville, Tennessee 2303 posts
25th Jul '13

Just wondering if anyone has had a baby measure small for an ultrasound... I'm high risk- my last baby came 7 weeks early and I started to have contractions at 22 weeks, and 26 weeks with my cervix changing.
We are going weekly for check ups and ultrasounds..The last one I went to she was measuring small- just over 1lbs and some oz.. They said she wasn't in the danger zone but I'm worried a little. Any one measure small and baby grew faster later on? I'm small and I have had small babies.

ElleBelle (31 weeks) Due September 22; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Rio Rancho, NM, United States 21396 posts
status 25th Jul '13

Well if you have small babies...you have small babies lol. And 27 weeks is still so early. Dd was a peanut at 5lbs and I had her at 38 weeks. Some babies are just small

lacTAYtor. ☮ 3 kids; North Carolina 4496 posts
25th Jul '13

Some babies are just small. Plus an ultrasound can be off by 2+ pounds, so it's really hard to determine.

mom of three 3 kids; Missouri 5098 posts
25th Jul '13

My friends dr said her baby was super small so they were doing weekly u/s. She had her at 37 weeks and she weighed 5lbs 5oz... perfectly healthy.

izzy+Ethan 2 kids; Edmonton, Alberta 4056 posts
25th Jul '13

My DD was growing great until about 28 weeks she slowed down alot and couldnt keep up.. i was diagnosed with IUGR so i was induced at 38 1/2 weeks. she was born at 6 lbs even... Babys grow at different weights all the time. ive heard ultrasounds can be off by a couple pounds ( yet to see for myself) so really your baby could be 2 lbs or more or it could be the exact weight the tech said.

Claire-Bear (30 weeks) Due September 29; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Grande Prairie, AB, Canada 847 posts
status 25th Jul '13

DD measured small my entire pregnancy and toward the end I got sent for weekly NST's, but she always passed with flying colors and was born at 38 weeks weighing 5lbs 9oz and completely healthy. Even now at 22 months she's still a peanut.

MiddayHavoc 1 child; Louisiana 740 posts
25th Jul '13

I measured small (5th percentile) up until the last 1.5 months I was pregnant. The estimated weight was 6 lbs by birth and DS ended up weighing 7.2 and he was a week early. He caught up in the end.

Brittani Tomlinson Due March 13; 1 child; Florida 1 posts
25th Jul '13

When I was pregnant with my first they told me I was measuring on the small side and even went as far as to tell me that my daughter might have Growth Restriction. She came into this world perfectly healthy weighing 8 pounds 2 ounces and 21 1/4 inches. :)

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6545 posts
25th Jul '13

The big thing they worry about is the size of the baby suddenly dropping percentage-wise. My middle baby for example was diagnosed as an IUGR baby. He measured in the 50% right up until the 30 week mark. (High risk so have U/S every 2 weeks or sooner until that point.. growth scans once a month). Anyway, so they knew for sure his growth was changing. By the time they induced labor at 37 weeks, they estimated his weight to be almost 5lbs and he was under the 5% for his gestation.

If the baby's growth slows down drastically or if you fluid levels drop or there are issues with the blood flow in the umbilical cord, then they'll get more worried. Otherwise if your baby is growing consistently and is roughly in the same percentage every time they do a growth scan, I wouldn't worry about it.

lemaybe Due December 19 (boy); 1 child; Ohio 87 posts
25th Jul '13

I gave birth to my son the day before this due date and he only weight six pounds eight ounces. and even today at 19 months he's only 24 pounds... he's just a little guy. Nothing wrong with that though.