5 year old has autism, worried about 14 month old. ❀Sarah❀ 2 kids; Cocking, EU, Europe 123031 posts
status 25th Jul '13

My 5 year old rocks on all fours still like when you're learning to crawl, or he sits in our arm chair on his knees sideways with his arms on the arm of the chair and rocks.

I've noticed my 14 month old does this as well, not on the chair of course but he rocks on all fours when hes in his bed and he will rock in his high chair. Its the only thing thats worrying me so far. I figured it would stop by now but since he doesnt walk yet, just cruises, his main mode of transportation is crawling so he still has that position going. He makes great eye contact, engages with people, babbles up a storm, is meeting all the other age development targets.

I feel like its silly to worry, I should just enjoy him being a baby and with as many therapists and tutors we see someone is bound to say something if they notice anything "off", right? Or am I just trying to comfort myself. Since early intervention is key I'm wondering if I should wait to make an appointment until hes walking and not crawling as much to be in the position to rock, or if I should call to make an appointment with my sons specialty pediatrician soon.

ChristinaLynne 3 kids; Pancake, TX, United States 29640 posts
status 25th Jul '13

I have no advice I just wanted to say I'm here for you. Hugs Sarah!

P3RvYmCp3rv 2 kids; Carlyle, Illinois 11904 posts
25th Jul '13

Do whatever you have to do momma, but honestly at that age my kids did the same thing. Also brother might be mimmicing older brother. :) Seriously do what you feel you need to do though.

❀Sarah❀ 2 kids; Cocking, EU, Europe 123031 posts
status 25th Jul '13
Quoting P3RvYmCp3rv:" Do whatever you have to do momma, but honestly at that age my kids did the same thing. Also brother might be mimmicing older brother. :) Seriously do what you feel you need to do though."

I didnt know if it was neurotypical to rock like that its been so long since I've been around little ones for that long. Most of the time I watch them as newbs or toddlers. :oops:

One of the tutors did mention mimicking.

status 25th Jul '13
Quoting ChristinaLynne:" I have no advice I just wanted to say I'm here for you. Hugs Sarah!"

Thank you :)

P3RvYmCp3rv 2 kids; Carlyle, Illinois 11904 posts
25th Jul '13
Quoting ⚓ Sarah ⚓:" I didnt know if it was neurotypical to rock like that its been so long since I've been around little ... [snip!] ... ones for that long. Most of the time I watch them as newbs or toddlers. :oops: One of the tutors did mention mimicking."

I think honestly you should just keep an eye on it and if it further worries you I would consult somebody. :)

Ben. 3 kids; Minnesota 7950 posts
26th Jul '13

I would guess he is mimicking Kieran. Or it is just a fun thing to do.

I totally understand worrying, I freak out and google any time Reese does something Gavin does/did that were considered red flags. It's important to remember that nt kids can have some similar behaviors to kids w autism but isolated, it's not concerning. It sounds like he's doing well everywhere else, so I think it's ok to wait it out while keeping and eye out.

Phallus Cranium cocksuck, LA, Sri Lanka 108885 posts
status 26th Jul '13

I think he is probably mimicking Keiran, but I def understand your worry.

If it doesn't pass when he walks, I would def inquire.
*hugs*

User 0123456789 Talofofo, GU, Guam 15032 posts
26th Jul '13

I agree with it possibly being him mimicking but fully understand your concern. <3

user banned Due January 20; 33 kids; North Carolina 14662 posts
26th Jul '13

I say wait a little bit and see if you notice any other signs. At this point he could just be mimicking.

status 26th Jul '13

Thank you everyone, he didnt rock himself to sleep last night I noticed so maybe I'm noticing it more than hes actually doing it. :) I think I'm going to wait until he walks or something else develops before I worry myself too much.

homes cool TTC since May 2014; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Indiana 61358 posts
26th Jul '13

*hugs* Love you.

That's all I've got. :oops: