9 month old refusing formula? ρiηkie ρie 3 kids; 3 angel babies; Kentucky 21902 posts
27th Jul

LO is absolutely refusing to drink formula. And just formula btw. She'll drink water, pedialyte, or juice just fine. But she spits out her formula. I have tried everything. Cold, warm, bottle, sippy cup, I even tired putting ice in it. It's a no go. She eats 3 meals a day, whatever we're eating mostly so I know she's not going to starve to death if she keeps this up but she needs her formula too. She's too young to switch to whole milk. I can't say I blame her for not wanting the formula, it's f**king gross tasting but still. Should I try to make her drink it or just hope this is short lived and offer her plenty of other things to drink along with the formula so she doesn't get dehydrated? Advice? TIA!

user banned 2 kids; Georgia 24891 posts
27th Jul

I wouldn't give her anything but formula, especially not juice or food.

KH. TTC since Jul 2013; 1 child; Texas 4107 posts
27th Jul

Maybe it's just a phase? Have you asked her DR what to do? Maybe it would be okay for you to switch to milk? I'm no help lol.

orchidlovingmama 2 kids; Santa Rosa, California 1733 posts
27th Jul

<blockquote><b>Quoting A❤T=P&W:</b>" I wouldn't give her anything but formula, especially not juice or food. "</blockquote>

Okay i get the juice part but food? Really?
I hope you were being sarcastic or something.
I have no idea because i have never used formula you should ask your pedi.

ρiηkie ρie 3 kids; 3 angel babies; Kentucky 21902 posts
27th Jul
Quoting A❤T=P&W:" I wouldn't give her anything but formula, especially not juice or food. "

For the record, juice is for practicing with her sippy cup. It's not something she gets a lot of. As for food, I have never forced her to eat anything. I felt she was ready and started offering her solids. She does great with them and loves feeding herself. So to each their own.

27th Jul
Quoting orchidlovingmama:" <blockquote><b>Quoting A❤T=P&W:</b>" I wouldn't give her anything but formula, ... [snip!] ... I hope you were being sarcastic or something. I have no idea because i have never used formula you should ask your pedi."

A 9 month old doesn't need food he needs formula. If he is filling up on juice and food, he's not getting what he needs from formula. I would stop with the other crap and just keep offering the formula. Formula or breast milk should be the main source of nutrition until 1

27th Jul
Quoting KH.:" Maybe it's just a phase? Have you asked her DR what to do? Maybe it would be okay for you to switch to milk? I'm no help lol."

That's what I'm hoping, that it's just a phase. It's only been a couple days so I'm not super super concerned yet. I'd rather not switch her to whole milk yet. If she keeps it up I'll see what her pedi has to say.

27th Jul
Quoting A❤T=P&W:" A 9 month old doesn't need food he needs formula. If he is filling up on juice and food, he's not getting ... [snip!] ... with the other crap and just keep offering the formula. Formula or breast milk should be the main source of nutrition until 1"

Up until yesterday she was taking 24-30oz of formula a day, along with the other "crap." If you didn't give your children anything else until 1, that's fine but this is not your child. Thanks for the "help" though.

27th Jul
Quoting ρiηkie ρie:" Up until yesterday she was taking 24-30oz of formula a day, along with the other "crap." If you didn't ... [snip!] ... If you didn't give your children anything else until 1, that's fine but this is not your child. Thanks for the "help" though. "

If it's one day, I wouldn't be that concerned. A lot of babies go through a phase, if it lasts until Monday take her in. juice is going to dehydrate her, if you are worried about that, don't give juice.

lolajessup Due July 25; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44057 posts
27th Jul

Could just be a phase. But formula should be offered before solids. So I'd stop the solids until she is getting the main nutrition from her formula (if this continues, for a day or two I wouldn't freak out).

Mommy to B&B 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 796 posts
27th Jul

<blockquote><b>Quoting ρiηkie ρie:</b>" Up until yesterday she was taking 24-30oz of formula a day, along with the other "crap." If you didn't ... [snip!] ... If you didn't give your children anything else until 1, that's fine but this is not your child. Thanks for the "help" though. "</blockquote>

I tried the barely any food before 1 because my son could not chew and swallow....My DS was taking so much formula the pediatrician told me to limit him to 3-4 bottles a day and start feeding solids more often:/ He is about to be 9 months on the 31st and weighs 28lbs so that's what we did and he's doin really well !!! Anyways my DS did the no formula thing for 3 days when he was 6 months and I just attempted solids and gave him water and kept offering formula and afterv3 days he was back to normal.