12 Week Scan-- to early to find out the sex? Lili's Mom HasGotitGoinOn Due March 1; 1 child; Connecticut 3387 posts
6th Aug '13

So I just scheduled my ultrasound for 12w1d. My friend found out she was having a boy at hers. Anybody ever find out that early & it was accurate? Tia!

_______Nope_________ 23772 posts
6th Aug '13
Quoting Lili's Mom HasGotitGoinOn:" So I just scheduled my ultrasound for 12w1d. My friend found out she was having a boy at hers. Anybody ever find out that early & it was accurate? Tia!"

It could be accurate, but it's really a guess at that stage. Most Dr's won't even try to tell you what it is at that point.

Womb Raider Due August 11 (girl); 2 kids; Japan 499 posts
6th Aug '13

No. The only thing they can see at 12 weeks is a possible "nub" and that is just a theory.

mommy2thing1&thing2 Due November 11 (girl); 2 kids; Phoenix, Arizona 3064 posts
6th Aug '13

i found out around 15-16 weeks all 3 times. ive heard 12 weeks is way to early (i wouldnt trust it that early) but im sure it can be accurate after al ltheres a 50/50 chance its right :D

mom of three 3 kids; Missouri 5303 posts
6th Aug '13

they say there there is a nub theory, but its only about 50% accurate :wink: lol. I guessed mine with the nub theory at 10 weeks 6 days and it was correct.... so its possible, but dont get your hopes up.

user banned Due March 16; 18 kids; Springfield, Georgia 8473 posts
6th Aug '13

I wouldn't trust it.

Nikki+2 2 kids; Colorado Springs, Colorado 11525 posts
status 6th Aug '13

Definitely too early. They can guess based on the nub, but that's it. I wouldn't trust anything before 15 weeks.

☮Sugar Magnolia 1 child; Indiana 18298 posts
6th Aug '13

Both sexes look like boys at that gestation. I was told boy at thirteen weeks, but my daughter lacks a p***s lol

penispenispenisVAGINA 4 kids; Idaho 7110 posts
6th Aug '13

At 12 weeks both boys and girls have the same exact part in that area so no you can't find out that early. You can try doing the nub theory but even that it's still 50/50.

nubtheory.jpg

ℕightingale 1 child; Mississippi 7115 posts
status 6th Aug '13

Both sexes have "penises" at that stage so no it isn't "accurate" but there's still a 50% chance is right or wrong.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 6760 posts
status 6th Aug '13

the earliest i have found out gender and have had it correct is around 14 weeks. Before then, it's just a guess really. Babies of both gender aren't different enough at 12 weeks to be able to tell. Even with waving penises, nothing before the 20 week anatomy scan is considered set in stone. Up until then, dr's are very careful to say it 'might be' one sex or the other. I've had accurate gender identification with 3 out of 4 babies at 14 weeks with a high res machine (i'm high risk .. I go for lots and lots of U/S)

Live-Laugh-Love 3 kids; Kitchener, ON, Canada 8001 posts
6th Aug '13

That early they are guessing based on the "angle of the dangle" theory. I found out at 12 weeks 3 days (he was measuring 13 weeks and 3 days.)

Ronnie RadKat 4 kids; Arizona 22058 posts
6th Aug '13

I found out at my nuchal scan, I was 12w6d but was measuring ahead by about a week.

PiscesMommy Due January 21 (girl); 1 child; 157 posts
6th Aug '13
Quoting Lili's Mom HasGotitGoinOn:" So I just scheduled my ultrasound for 12w1d. My friend found out she was having a boy at hers. Anybody ever find out that early & it was accurate? Tia!"

Yes, I found out at 12 week scan and they was right...I was measuring about a week early though.

ℐαzmчn 2 kids; Somerset, Kentucky 12712 posts
6th Aug '13
Quoting Sara [+2]:" I wouldn't trust it."

:!: