8+6 year olds want a dog as a pet. Lauren6 6 kids; Ireland 118 posts
14th Aug

my 8 and 6 year old daughters want a pet dog, husband has said maybe, but i'm not so sure, its just because there's litter ones under 2 years old and then another one on the way.
Did you get your kids any pets with small kids around?
Help and Advice please :]

~Brittany Lee~ 2 kids; Bedford, Pennsylvania 4838 posts
14th Aug

My daughters are 4 and 2 and I've had my dog a year before my 4 year old was born. She is amazing with my daughters they can climb on her and do whatever and she won't bit. I think a dog is a great pet I always had a dog growing up.

user banned Due January 20; 33 kids; North Carolina 14662 posts
14th Aug

Heathen will be 5 in November, and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. We just took in a 5 year old black lab in June.
He's great with her, and he's great with me 'knowing' I'm pregnant.

You just have to do your research on breeds and come to a decision on whats best for you and your family

~Brittany Lee~ 2 kids; Bedford, Pennsylvania 4838 posts
14th Aug

<blockquote><b>Quoting Pirate Hooker {BAMW}:</b>" Heathen will be 5 in November, and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. We just took in a 5 year old black lab in June. ... [snip!] ... I'm pregnant. You just have to do your research on breeds and come to a decision on whats best for you and your family"</blockquote>

I love black labs they are great dogs we had one for 14 years he was such a good dog.

LayLu 17 kids; Virginia 4007 posts
14th Aug

We got our dog shortly after finding out I was pregnant. He's a lab/pitbull mix.. he's huge! And he's very stubborn and playful. I wanted to get rid of him as it got closer to my due date because he's an extremely jealous dog.. for instance, if he sees me and SO cuddling on the couch he tries to climb up on us and sit between us (and he's like 90 pounds and all muscle). If me and SO are playing around and like wrestling or tickling eachother, he tries to get between us. He's very jealous and very dominant, so I was worried he'd get jealous of the baby and possibly hurt her. But.. DD is now almost three months old and he does great with her. I can put her on her playmat on the floor and he knows not to get too close. He'll sniff her and sometimes lick her arm, but that's it. Only annoying thing is when I let him outside, it seems like he wants to sit and whine at the back door every time I'm busy doing something with DD (like changing or feeding her). If you have the patience for kids and a dog, go for it!

speaktruth2powr 2 kids; Ontario 45011 posts
14th Aug

Do they have any pets at all currently?

If not, I'd start small. A tank of fish, or a hamster or something like that. Have them take care of the feeding and cleaning, so they understand that having an animal is not just fun, there is responsibility that comes along with it.

¡VinHaute! Memphis, Tennessee 43969 posts
14th Aug

Our first family dog we got when our oldest was 6 months old. I think it would have been easier on all of us if there were some other kids around to give puppy attention, rather than him having to compete with just a human baby all the time.

They sound old enough to help out with dog care though, so if you are committed enough to dedicating the time they need to learn how to take care of a dog, I'd give it a try. I understand though that there is potential for you to really have your hands full. Do you at least have a big yard for pup and kids to run around in? That would be the clincher for me. I love walking dogs but I wouldn't want to feel obligated to do it everyday out of necessity.

user banned Lesbos, Greece 95211 posts
14th Aug

We have a rabbit and 3 cats right now. We've had 2 of the cats since my third was 7 months old and I have a 4th so they were there for the baby stage. My 2 older cats are great with kids. Our kitten is a bit rough but she's a kitten so...

And our rabbit likes to be pet but that's it.

A dog could be a great idea. With little ones who haven't had a pet before, I'd stick to a sturdy breed and not something tiny like a chihuahua.

Lauren6 6 kids; Ireland 118 posts
14th Aug

Thanks girls, me and Liam will talk about it after he comes home from work :]