Reply
Magnesium to stop pre-term labor. ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug

So I came to the hospital yesterday around 3pm and they admitted me on the spot when they saw I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced at 32 weeks 3 days with twins. They can feel Baby A's head he's down so low.



They immediately gave me a steroid shot and hooked me to an IV of magnesium. Two boluses(sp?) and now a slow drip. They had to cut it back because when I woke up this morning my body felt like it weighed 500 pounds and I fell coming into bathroom. I also had severe blurred vision and a migraine from hell. Everything except the blurred vision is gone since they lowered it but I feel icky still. :(



It did stop contractions as I haven't had a very noticeable one in over 6 hours. They're giving me my second steroid shot at 6 tonight then stopping the magnesium at 6am to see if they contractions come back or not. If they do and they're progressing me they're talking about leaving me on the magnesium for up to the next 2 weeks! If not, I'm sent home on strict bedrest.



My main concern is the magnesium for 2 weeks. I've read a LOT of recent studies about the dangers of long term magnesium use and how it went from a Class A to a Class D. My intended parents agree with me that they're not okay with long term use of this drug.



Do I have the right to refuse the magnesium? Has anyone experienced this before? I'm such a mess and have been crying worrying but I don't want anything to happen because of a medicine. HATE medicine. Already disgusted that they're shoved magnesium, zofran ("in case" I got nauseated), and keep pushing tylenol on me because of my headache. Grr.

loser mom 2 kids; 1 angel baby; GoShox!, KS, United States 9193 posts
22nd Aug

My opinion, the benefits of the magnesium outweigh the risks. Your doctors are aware of this as well.

My Brain On Drugs TTC since Sep 2013; 33 kids; Elephant Butte, New Mexico 15751 posts
22nd Aug

Of course you can refuse! Anyone who has seen the data would agree that it would be wise to refuse.



Babies will probably be born sooner rather than later though. It's effective and there aren't too many other options...you may have to sign an AMA form...you may open yourself up to a lot of trouble by doing so.



Good luck. I am so sorry you're going through this.

My Brain On Drugs TTC since Sep 2013; 33 kids; Elephant Butte, New Mexico 15751 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting loser mom (tko!):" My opinion, the benefits of the magnesium outweigh the risks. Your doctors are aware of this as well."


Well, it's class D. So, probably not.

loser mom 2 kids; 1 angel baby; GoShox!, KS, United States 9193 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting My Brain On Drugs:" Well, it's class D. So, probably not."


Probably not what?

ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting My Brain On Drugs:" Of course you can refuse! Anyone who has seen the data would agree that it would be wise to refuse. ... [snip!] ... an AMA form...you may open yourself up to a lot of trouble by doing so. Good luck. I am so sorry you're going through this."


I'm just so frustrated. My OB told me this morning that if I keep these babies baking a few days after the steroid shots are in my body then he's not concerned with stopping labor after that as they were already guessed at over 4lbs each at 30 weeks and the steroids will help with development.



Every other doctor I've spoken to here has acted like my personal OB is a quack and has no idea what he's doing and I need to stay pregnant for another week and a half.



Now I'm not trying to be a b***h here but...these babies obviously want out. They're fighting with each other for the head spot in my pelvis (so far Jay is winning and Molly is just beating the crap out of him)....



They did a small ultrasound here yesterday and clocked Jay at 5lbs 3oz and Molly at 4lbs 13oz. They said internal organs were looking very good as well.



I just don't wanna take risks with someone else's baby but I don't know whether it's riskier to have them early and let NICU help them or sit on a Class D drugs with numerous studies showing it's dangerous in long term use.

Summerfrost 51 kids; Massachusetts 5661 posts
status 22nd Aug
Quoting My Brain On Drugs:" Well, it's class D. So, probably not."


Mag is used to stop contractions when nothing else works. There are very few medications that stop contractions that are pleasant. It's a balancing game of what's worse... the possible side effects of the drugs or the babies being in the NICU and all of the meds and everything they'll have to be on to stay stable. Plus the developmental issues and long term side effects of being a preemie.



Anyway, I've never personally heard of mag being used long term. It does make you feel real crappy, but I've only ever been on it personally for a day or 2. It is the most effective drug out there to stop contractions, but it sucks big time.

user banned 21 kids; North Dakota 3800 posts
22nd Aug

I was on magnesium with my son for a week. He wasborn at 27 weeks. He's autistic and the first year of his life was hell. He was constantly sick. My daughter I was on it for 13 days and she was born at 36 weeks and never gets sick, no problem. Imo, prematurity is worse than the magnesium. And I'm sorry about the magnesium. They nearly killed me with it...oh and I puked on my dad. :-/

A, E & W's mommy Due October 21; Bulgaria 15280 posts
22nd Aug

Since your IPs agree with them I'd be asking about the other alternatives they have for stopping labor, it's obviously better if you can make it to 34 weeks but there's always a cost benefit analysis with meds. I'd ask about the benefits and risks of other meds and discuss with the IPs to come up with a solution that works best for all of you.

ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting *Mayhem*:" I was on magnesium with my son for a week. He wasborn at 27 weeks. He's autistic and the first year ... [snip!] ... worse than the magnesium. And I'm sorry about the magnesium. They nearly killed me with it...oh and I puked on my dad. :-/"


They're technically barely preterm in twin terms. My OB is convinced they're okay and ready to come now, but I said I'd give the mag a few days to see if it helped. Even if I can keep them in for another 2-3 weeks makes me feel better. It's the long term use that I'm not comfortable with. I've read so many studies about it while I've been sitting in this hospital room that I don't know what to do.



I'm sorry to hear about your kiddos problems, that's a really early preemie. Good job for him for being such a fighter!!! :)

ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting A, E & W's mommy:" Since your IPs agree with them I'd be asking about the other alternatives they have for stopping labor, ... [snip!] ... about the benefits and risks of other meds and discuss with the IPs to come up with a solution that works best for all of you."


I've tried explaining to the IPs that Mag is the only thing they're currently able to use to stop labor. If this doesn't work, then there's nothing they can do but let them come. I have heart issues so me, my OB and a nurse sat down and went over the possible medicines used to stop labor and we all agreed there's nothing out there we'd be comfortable using.



The IP's don't understand the risk of premature birth at all. They think just because they weigh a "healthy" amount everything else is healthy. I've tried explaining this but they don't wanna hear it. I agree with them on the magnesium but I'm just worried about Molly & Jay being here too early.



If they had waited 2 more weeks this hospital wouldn't have even attempted to stop labor. Impatient buggers.

A, E & W's mommy Due October 21; Bulgaria 15280 posts
22nd Aug

<blockquote><b>Quoting ModernMan'sHustle ♥:</b>" I've tried explaining to the IPs that Mag is the only thing they're currently able to use to stop labor. ... [snip!] ... here too early. If they had waited 2 more weeks this hospital wouldn't have even attempted to stop labor. Impatient buggers."</blockquote>



What qualifies as long term use? If its more than 2 weeks then I'd be tempted to give the two weeks a shot and try to get as close to that 34 wk mark as your health will allow

ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting A, E & W's mommy:" <blockquote><b>Quoting ModernMan'sHustle ♥:</b>" I've tried explaining to the ... [snip!] ... 2 weeks then I'd be tempted to give the two weeks a shot and try to get as close to that 34 wk mark as your health will allow"


The FDA says longer than 5-7 days.



Which is why I'm so concerned, it was bumped from an A to a D for a reason, kwim?

A, E & W's mommy Due October 21; Bulgaria 15280 posts
22nd Aug

<blockquote><b>Quoting ModernMan'sHustle ♥:</b>" The FDA says longer than 5-7 days. Which is why I'm so concerned, it was bumped from an A to a D for a reason, kwim?"</blockquote>




I see, I would try for that 5 days then and see what happens, at least you'll have given the steroids time to work by that point

ModernMan'sHustle ♥ 1 child; Akron, Ohio 983 posts
22nd Aug
Quoting A, E & W's mommy:" <blockquote><b>Quoting ModernMan'sHustle ♥:</b>" The FDA says longer than 5-7 ... [snip!] ... see, I would try for that 5 days then and see what happens, at least you'll have given the steroids time to work by that point"


I told the IP's I'm giving them 7 days if necessary since that would put me at 33 weeks 3 days. Close to 34 but not completely. The IP's aren't in agreement with me, so they're calling the surrogate agency and are trying to go over my head.



I feel so torn. They're not my babies so it's not MY decision but I'm just trying to make sure they're healthy.