38 weeks pregnant and scared about labor Meesh_18 Due September 22 (boy); Ottawa, Ontario 6 posts
9th Sep '13

Hi everyone,

I'm due Sept. 23rd with my first. I am so scared about labor..Like terrified. I'm trying to take steps to help (my birthing plan, support from my husband and my mom, etc.) Any advice? :S

Hy'ska 2 kids; Washington 50791 posts
9th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Meesh_18:</b>" Hi everyone, I'm due Sept. 23rd with my first. I am so scared about labor..Like terrified. I'm trying to take steps to help (my birthing plan, support from my husband and my mom, etc.) Any advice? :S"</blockquote>

Remember to breathe, your body is made for this. It's scary but natural. You're a strong woman.

TootsMcGoots 1 child; Saskatchewan 3732 posts
9th Sep '13

Breathe. And just keep telling yourself your body was made to give birth. I was TERRIFIED about giving birth, but honestly, I enjoyed it. After the excitement of the first contraction happened subsided, I was left with the feeling of "let's do this!" and allowed my body to take me on the ride it was made to do. Sounds stupid, but honestly, it was the most empowering experience ever.

☆Tiffanyyy☆ 1 child; none, FL, United States 439 posts
9th Sep '13

I just went with the flow.
Didn't really know what to expect.
It was painful, but once you see your baby all the
pain stops & is totally worth every second you just went through.
I didn't have a birthing plan, just knew I would get an epidural if
the pain was too much, I ended up getting it, and it didn't work.
It just f'elt like my butt was on fire. TMI. haha.

Hope you have a fast & easy labor & a healthy baby! (:

lacTAYtor. ☮ 3 kids; North Carolina 4496 posts
9th Sep '13

It's totally normal to be scared, but you got this mama! Try to stay calm and remember to breathe! Your body was made to do this. It is a very empowering experience, IMO.

Momma R 2 kids; Washington 3631 posts
9th Sep '13

Expect the unexpected. Go in with the mindset that yes you really can do this!

Little Miss Moxie Due January 24; 1 child; Alaska 1036 posts
9th Sep '13
Quoting TootsMcGoots:" Breathe. And just keep telling yourself your body was made to give birth. I was TERRIFIED about giving ... [snip!] ... my body to take me on the ride it was made to do. Sounds stupid, but honestly, it was the most empowering experience ever."

This is exactly how it was for me too. I was out of my mind terrified, because I had no idea what to expect, but overall it was a great experience. It was WAY better than I could have ever hoped for. I never even pulled my birth plan out of my bag lol.....

Tickletits Due March 17 (boy); 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Rincon, Georgia 618 posts
9th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Hy'ska:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Meesh_18:</b>" Hi everyone, I'm due Sept. 23rd with my first. ... [snip!] ... :S"</blockquote> Remember to breathe, your body is made for this. It's scary but natural. You're a strong woman."</blockquote>

This!

& remember, sometimes things don't go exactly as planned & that's ok.

Simply, Mom 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Upland, 11712 posts
9th Sep '13

You'll forget it all once you hold the beautiful baby in your arms.

9th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Tickletits3:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Hy'ska:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting Meesh_18:</b>" ... [snip!] ... You're a strong woman."</blockquote> This! & remember, sometimes things don't go exactly as planned & that's ok."</blockquote>

Also this!

With my first, I had planned on getting an epidural...well I got to the hospital at 9cm :shock: and didn't have time for any medicine whatsoever. It was scary at first, but you forget the pain when you meet your baby. And I ended up choosing to have natural, medicine free births with all three babies.

Birth can definitely throw you some curve balls. Good luck! I hope you have a great, easy delivery. :)

October2011 2 kids; Pennsylvania 6821 posts
9th Sep '13

Don't waste time worrying about the inevitable. Honestly when labor starts you'll be way to preoccupied with getting through contractions to be scared.

sealionsarah 2 kids; Livonia, Michigan 2538 posts
9th Sep '13

I am sorry if this is crappy advice, but just try to remember that the pain is a GOOD and completely normal thing, even though it might not feel that way
. I remember being cool with labor until I actually went into labor, and was so scared. I didn't know what the hell was going on with my body, . Read/research online about Ina May Gaskin. She is an amazing midwife and explains all of the stages of labor really well.

My Brain On Drugs TTC since Sep 2013; 33 kids; Elephant Butte, New Mexico 15758 posts
9th Sep '13

Think very carefully about what you are scared of, and address those things on your birth plan. It is a tiny bit late to just begin thinking about what you might prefer. But better than never. What are you scared of, anyway?

9th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting sealionsarah:</b>" I am sorry if this is crappy advice, but just try to remember that the pain is a GOOD and completely ... [snip!] ... . Read/research online about Ina May Gaskin. She is an amazing midwife and explains all of the stages of labor really well. "</blockquote>

Love Ina May! <3

Meesh_18 Due September 22 (boy); Ottawa, Ontario 6 posts
9th Sep '13

Thank you all so very much for all of your amazing advice. I'm going to keep re-reading this post whenever I start to worry. I'm happy I found this site...great supporters :)