3 year old with holding poop thewarmth 3 kids; South Carolina 14438 posts
10th Sep '13

This has been a battle for far too long and I am almost at my wits end. My 3 year old has been with holding her poop for maybe over 6 months. She just smears in her underwear/pull up all day for days until something finally comes out and never in the toilet of course...
I have never made an issue about it so she isn't pressured to poop by no means. She takes miralax and it does nothing. I have had to resort to enemas at times which kills me, because I hate to do that to her.
She is pretty much pee trained unless she is just having a horrid pooping day.
Like today, she finally pooped in her pull up that was a poop so big it could rival a large man's, but has been smearing in her pull up for days. Now that she has finally pooped she can wear actual underwear for the next couple of days, then will go right back to smearing, and pull ups it is.

I have no idea what else to do, or what I am doing wrong? Any advice?

HATETHISWEBSITE Due September 29 (boy); Indiana 71 posts
10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" This has been a battle for far too long and I am almost at my wits end. My 3 year old has been with holding ... [snip!] ... then will go right back to smearing, and pull ups it is. I have no idea what else to do, or what I am doing wrong? Any advice?"

Poor thing! I babysat a little one who did this too and it is by every account of the word, frustrating. She would appear to be pooping and I'd find out she was binding herself, I had to result to enemas and holding her legs over her head and insert suppositories. Come to find out HER reason was being afraid of it coming out of her, it scared her.

Her mother read her books about pooping, everyone poops is a good one. Show her you going poo poo, let her flush it even. I know it sounds nasty but you have to show her pooping is natural. Ayla thought her body was broken and didn't want it to be that way. So precious.

Also try buying a little potty for her, a cheap one and let her read her poo poo books on it a few times a day in privacy. I know she's potty trained and that's wonderful! If you have any questions or have no success with that feel free to inbox me and we can come up with more! Good luck!
TheNuge 1 child; Pennsylvania 23104 posts
10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" This has been a battle for far too long and I am almost at my wits end. My 3 year old has been with holding ... [snip!] ... then will go right back to smearing, and pull ups it is. I have no idea what else to do, or what I am doing wrong? Any advice?"

what foods do you restrict? what foods do you encourage? until she has some "peacefully passed oops," she is going to avoid pooping.

10th Sep '13
Quoting TheNuge:" what foods do you restrict? what foods do you encourage? until she has some "peacefully passed oops," she is going to avoid pooping."

I'm sorry, but that's not true in everyone's situation. She uses miralax too and trust me, that will clean you out no matter what you consume.
Mandy and her girls!~ 3 kids; Illinois 10345 posts
status 10th Sep '13

Make sure you tell her dr. because it will cause big problems down the road. When my oldest was having an issue holding in her poop she was 4 at the time and she said it hurt to poop. She was doing the same thing and it was causing the same issues with the poop stains only she was fully pt'd so she was only wearing underwear. I had to throw away a lot of underwear because of it. We gave miralax as well and when she did poop it was huge like you said. Eventually she quit but hers only lasted about a month or 2 so I'm not sure what would have happened if she didn't quit.

10th Sep '13
Quoting MommyCoverdale:" "

What's not true? Today, she had a giant poop.
The kid needs some help.

10th Sep '13
Quoting TheNuge:" What's not true? Today, she had a giant poop. The kid needs some help."

No I agree with you, sometimes though the body cannot hold the poop anymore and it comes out. Ayla had big accidents, said she couldn't hold it in anymore. She was trying but you know it gophers...lol that's graphic.

thewarmth 3 kids; South Carolina 14438 posts
10th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting MommyCoverdale:</b>" "</blockquote>

We have a no closed door in our house with the bathrooms just for her lol. She sees us poop, she has flushed mine. She always flushes her pee.
I guess I need to get the baby potty back out.
I am terrified this is still going to be going on by the time she starts 4K next year. This is such an issue its hard for me to see an end to it!

10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" <blockquote><b>Quoting MommyCoverdale:</b>" "</blockquote> We have a no closed ... [snip!] ... is still going to be going on by the time she starts 4K next year. This is such an issue its hard for me to see an end to it!"

How have you changed her diet to help?

10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" <blockquote><b>Quoting MommyCoverdale:</b>" "</blockquote> We have a no closed ... [snip!] ... is still going to be going on by the time she starts 4K next year. This is such an issue its hard for me to see an end to it!"

It took ayla 4 years to get over it; but it stopped. Good luck!
status 10th Sep '13

When this was going on with my daughter I did all kinds of googling and came up with compresis *sp*. You might want to look that up.

10th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting TheNuge:</b>" what foods do you restrict? what foods do you encourage? until she has some "peacefully passed oops," she is going to avoid pooping."</blockquote>

Absolutely no bananas. She can eat one and then not poop for a week.
I try to push all healthy foods with her. She drinks nothing but water all day, with the occasional juice. No milk.
She has oatmeal every morning with has fiber.

Because her diet is constipation friendly, I am worried she is withholding purposefully. But I don't know what to do. She already has a full cap of miralax a day. I never get upset with her. I tell her it is fine to poop in her pull up. :(

10th Sep '13

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mandy and her girls!~:</b>" When this was going on with my daughter I did all kinds of googling and came up with compresis *sp*. You might want to look that up. "</blockquote>

Google isn't helping me find this hah

10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" <blockquote><b>Quoting TheNuge:</b>" what foods do you restrict? what foods do you ... [snip!] ... do. She already has a full cap of miralax a day. I never get upset with her. I tell her it is fine to poop in her pull up. :("

We had some BAD constipation problems when Harper was 2.
Here's what I'd do based on past success:
- No bananas or rice or apple sauce.
- No dairy for several days until things get better and the withholding stops
- Go to the Latin foods section and get some apricot and/or pear nectar (Goya is popular). there is also a popular brand of apricot nectar sold in small cans. They are yummy and REALLY help
- get a stool softener like Pedi-Lax and use that for a few days.
- when you think she has to go and is withholding, put a pull-up on and make her get REALLY active. the physical movement will help her go.

My LO had a poop once that was so big I would have thought it was impossible for her to pass. She was VERY upset and cried, but MAN it was HUGE.

We have gotten things under control. If she skips morning juice she often has hard pellets the next day. The same thing happens if she drinks a lot of milk.

I used to modify her diet each day depending on what I saw in the toilet. I'm glad the days are over!

Good luck.
Oh, here is a good website for other tips:
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/constipation

status 10th Sep '13
Quoting thewarmth:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Mandy and her girls!~:</b>" When this was going on with my daughter ... [snip!] ... and came up with compresis *sp*. You might want to look that up. "</blockquote> Google isn't helping me find this hah"

I just tried looking and it's encopresis, sorry!