5 weeks, 5 days pregnant prescribed Nitrofurantion for UTI cautious1 Due May 15; Japan 1 posts
18th Sep '13

I am currently 5 weeks, 5 days pregnant and have an active UTI. I have no symptoms of pain or discomfort in anyway; just cloudy urine. I have been prescribed and have only taken two of the antibiotic capsules prescribed. Recently my urine has been clear. I have been ONLY drinking water and cranberry juice. I really do not want to continue taking the antibiotics to cure or clear this dreaded UTI. I am concerned about the side effects or possible defects to my baby especially this early on. Does anyone know of any home remedies or natural remedies that are safe this early in pregnancy and that can clear up an active UTI?

Mrs. Fosty 3 kids; 2 angel babies; Massachusetts 1457 posts
18th Sep '13
Quoting cautious1:" I am currently 5 weeks, 5 days pregnant and have an active UTI. I have no symptoms of pain or discomfort ... [snip!] ... anyone know of any home remedies or natural remedies that are safe this early in pregnancy and that can clear up an active UTI?"

You need to take the meds prescribed to you. There is no home remedy to get rid of a UTI and if you don't get rid of it, it could lead to a kidney infection.
This medication is:
Pregnancy risk: Category B (No evidence of risk in humans)

You're fine to take it.

♥MomToSilas+1♥ Due December 9; 1 child; ., IL, United States 10898 posts
status 18th Sep '13

You will be fine and baby will be fine. Take the medicine that you were given. There is not natural cure for a UTI and if you continue to let it go it will effect your kidneys.

FertileMyrtle5 5 kids; Mayberry, IN, United States 366 posts
18th Sep '13

Also an untreated UTI can cause miscarriage so it's best to continue it.

Raiquee Due May 19; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Wisconsin 183 posts
18th Sep '13

Take the full course of your antibiotics. You make my job harder by making bacteria more resistant to antibiotics. :( you're given a full course of antibiotics for a reason, and this is also why your doctor says "even if you feel better, finish your antibiotics". By not doing this, we just keep creating resistant bacteria that takes harsher drugs to get rid of.