8 weeks and days and nights are mixed up **Vikki** 1 child; Iowa 97 posts
18th Nov '13

My 8 week old has his days and nights mixed up.. he sleeps awesome during the day but at night he is up every 1.5-2 hours.. he is BF but takes a bottle as well.. at night though I just BF.. any suggestions on how to fix this.. I go back to work in 4 weeks.. Thanks!!

Good Queen Bess 2 kids; Ontario 46411 posts
status 18th Nov '13

Infants don't have a concept of "days" and "nights". They sleep when they want. There is no way to change it around at this point, he will adjust when he is ready.

Bobanna Japan 1 posts
20th Nov '13

First start a 'bedtime routine'
it should be quick and at the same time (roughly) every night I.e bath, breastfeed, song and bed.
keep all night feeds quiet and keep the lights low. Only change nappy if necessary. Feed and back to be straight after with minimal chat / stimulation. Try to feed in the nursery / wherever bubs sleeps.
try to get baby up roughly the same time each morning. Wake up with big smiles and animated chit chat so bubs knows the day has started, try get bubs out in sunlight first thing. This corrects bubs natural circadian rythym.
Have lots of light and noise throughout the day and day feeds. When you get bubs up during the day greet him with big smiles and chats. When resettling during the night keep to minimal speaking, maybe just patting / shushing. Bubs will quickly learn what to expect and when.