15 month old's eating habits !*!Tera!*! California 1973 posts
28th Jun '08

I need some advice. My son Collin is 15 months old an hardly eats anything. He will cry for a sippy cup many many times during the day.. I do give in but IALWAYS offer him food 1st..He rarely eats breakfast..when he does its only a cracker or 2 an a bite of fruit or a bite of cereal

Jan~mom of 3 hoping for 4 TTC since Jul 2009; 18 kids; Taylor, Michigan 13259 posts
28th Jun '08

I would for sure stop giving him the sippy, he needs to fill up on food first, and 2 gallons of juice is a lot of juice, not very good for those ltitle teeth. Maybe if you take it away and offer it to him only at meal times he will see that his drink is a drink not what he gets his nourishment from, and i understand you dont want to starve or dehydrate him, so inbetween offer him water, not a whole sippy full, just a little to make sure he stays hydrated, is he eating regular table food or is he still on baby food?

!*!Tera!*! California 1973 posts
28th Jun '08

I have tried giving him the cup only at meal times but he will take the cup and not touch his food.. he won't drink water at all.. but thats a good idea bout only putting a little in the cup at a time. thanks so much.

mama3trish 3 kids; Ontario 9524 posts
28th Jun '08

My theory is kids will eat when they are good and hungry.However try offering him foods he has never had and lots of fruits(because they have juice in them and will prevent dehydration)but don't act upset when he won't eat them.Make sure he is in a high chair at every meal(make it like a routine) and praise him when he does try something, even if he spits it out.I would personally switch to 1% if he doesn't get it already, and really dilute his juice(I still dilute my 4 year olds juice).But unless you are going outside to play in which case I would let him drink lots of liquids to prevent dehydration, I'd considerabbly cut down on liquids -jmo.Good luck!

Waiting on baby 1 child; Texas 20 posts
28th Jun '08

It is true kids will eat when they are hungry. They wont starve themselfs. I'm a nurse and its hard to get kids off sippy cups. Just make it fun for him. Both of you take the sippy cups and throw them away together. Then go out and buy him his own new cups. I did this with my daughter. It took about a week to get rid of them all but It was done she was about 15 months when we had to do it. Also too much milk will fill them up thats why he really doesn't want to eat food. He sees milk as an easy way to get food. He doesn't have to work for it. Hell if I could drink my meal I would...lol..I would get a lot done. As for the water thing tell him its power water that its going to make him big and strong. Or just slowley put 1/2 water and 1/2 juice and slowly start taking away the juice so the water still has a bit of flavor to it. Little things at a time. Its not going to happen over night. I hope this can help you. It took me a while to get my daughter off them and start eating she didn't take a passy so that was her security.

Jan~mom of 3 hoping for 4 TTC since Jul 2009; 18 kids; Taylor, Michigan 13259 posts
28th Jun '08
Quoting Sugar Mama:
Abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy Due September 9; 1 child; Zimbabwe 42927 posts
28th Jun '08

if he is eating like that he shouldn't be getting juice at all. It is full of calories, and it's no wonder he isn't eating anythign if he is drinking that much juice. The milk is another thing, at least it has some nutrition.

!*!Tera!*! California 1973 posts
28th Jun '08
Quoting *Tera*: