35 weeks, soft cervix, & a fingertip dilated ... Jacob Is My Life! 1 child; Thibodaux, Louisiana 1334 posts
6th Nov '08

I went for a regularly scheduled visit on Tuesday. The NP did an exam, and told me that my cervix was soft, and I was a fingertip dilated. This is my first baby, and I honestly have no clue what any of that means. I've been doing some research online ... trying to figure out if that means my baby will not make it to his December 9th due date. Just looking for a lil help in the right direction with what all that meant. Thanks in advance! Hope you're all doing well!

Mrs. Post-tato Head 4 kids; 1 angel baby; 6819 posts
6th Nov '08

Soft cervix just means that your cervix is beginning to prepare for labor and a fingertip is about 1cm dialted. It's perfectly normal to start dialating and thinning (soft cervix) right now and doesn't mean you won't make it to your due date. Some women will be dialated 3 cm at 37 weeks and go over due. It all depends on when you're little one plans on coming out.

Cracked out June Cleaver 1 child; Springfield, Oregon 61877 posts
6th Nov '08

I was told you can stay at 1 fingertip(1 cm) for several weeks,even 2-3 cms......so not to worry! I get checked next week,i hope im not dialating yet,i want a december baby!!

Happy fam of 4! :) 2 kids; West Plains, Missouri 170 posts
6th Nov '08

It basically means that you are progressing in the right way to have your baby.. but it doesn't mean that you won't make it to your due date. You can be dialated for several weeks before going into labor.

Isabellasmom 1 child; California 811 posts
6th Nov '08

hey I'm due the 9th too may I parent tank you? I looked in my birthing book and a fingertip is a tiny bit more than 1cm. I don't know about the soft cervix

Uncle Sam Hates You 2 kids; Charlotte Amalie, Virgin Islands 17332 posts
6th Nov '08

You can be dialated @ 1cm until your due date, or you could go into labor tomorrow. With my first I was n't dialated at all when I hit my due date, or the week after, or the week after that. I went into labor at 42 weeks & was barely dialted 1cm when I went to L&D. The second time around I hit 2cm @ 36 weeks & was still 2cmwhen I got induced @ 42 weeks. It really is a guessing game :) Good luck!

♥Danielle+3♥ 3 kids; Oregon 52371 posts
6th Nov '08

My friend was 3 cm dialated for almost a month before she had her baby. It really means nothing except that your body is starting to prepare to give birth.

PinupMama 66 kids; Woodbridge, Virginia 1970 posts
6th Nov '08

Perfectly normal. I was 1 cm. dilated and 50% effaced at 32 weeks. Each week I dilated 1 cm. more. When I hit 4cm. I stayed there for 3 weeks. 100% effaced too. Baby came 4 days before his due date.

mommyx3surromommyx2 Due August 17 (boy); 4 kids; New Brunswick 1896 posts
6th Nov '08
Quoting Cop's Wife:
Lironah 5 kids; Utah 68 posts
6th Nov '08

If you're starting to dilate, then yeah, you're likely to deliver soon. I don't think I went longer than a week after they told me I was a finger dilated with my second one. She was a full 3 weeks before her due date, but she went home with me the next day. In fact, my daughter who went full term had more problems than the early one. I wouldn't be concerned about any problems caused by delivering now, with less than a month to go, but get your bag ready to go now - it's not easy to think clearly once those contractions start, and you can't count on your husband to be calm about it either!

Jacob Is My Life! 1 child; Thibodaux, Louisiana 1334 posts
6th Nov '08

Quoting Juliannah's_Mommy:
6th Nov '08
Quoting Isabellasmom:
PinupMama 66 kids; Woodbridge, Virginia 1970 posts
6th Nov '08
Quoting Lironah:
6th Nov '08

Thanks for all the replies. Greatly appreciate it!

jentaylor333 1 child; Horn Lake, Mississippi 1 posts
11th Nov '08

There are three stages of labor, and being dilated (even just a finger-tip) and having a soft cervix means that you are in the first stage. This stage could last a couple of hours, or a couple of weeks. It all depends on when your baby is ready to come out!