4 Month Old and Nebulizer. Bonified Jitterbug 2 kids; Florida 139 posts
19th Dec '08

Ok, so I took my son into the doctors on December 3rd because he had been sick with congestion and a slight cough. After checking him out they told me it was just a common cold and that he should be better within a week. Well it's been a total of about 3 weeks and I called his doctor and told them he wasn't getting better and that I was bringing him in so he could get checked out. So now the doctor is telling me he has congestion in his chest and that we have to start doing nebulizer treatments with him. So they gave us the machine, told me how to use it, and to home I went. So I was curious if anyone else has had to do this and how did you do it without your child freaking out? I've tried doing it twice and he screams and turns red. It's just....horrible. :(

user banned 2 kids; Saskatchewan 7018 posts
19th Dec '08

exactly what is a nebulizer?

CCasto Due July 6; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; El Paso, Texas 1669 posts
19th Dec '08
Quoting Lake21:
Bonified Jitterbug 2 kids; Florida 139 posts
19th Dec '08
Quoting Sarah {O08}:
19th Dec '08
Quoting AngelsBitterKiss:
user banned 2 kids; Saskatchewan 7018 posts
19th Dec '08

Thats what I thought it was. Sorry Im not much help but I had to use one when I was a baby after they took me off oxygen

Kristen515 2 kids; Savannah, Georgia 19594 posts
19th Dec '08

I had a nebulizer when I was a kid. I used to love my breathing treatments. I remember I loved the smell, lol.

But I'm not sure how to get your baby to like them. Maybe just have a big goofy smile and laugh with him while you're doing it. He will think it's fun. (This is what we have to do to make it through bathtime without screaming). Maybe it will work for breathing treatments as well. :)

Colleen L. 20 kids; Tallahassee, Florida 9190 posts
19th Dec '08

Yeah I have done it before just not with one so small. My 3 year old has asthma and has to use it daily to help keep her lungs open. It started when she was almost 2 years old. And boy it was not fun holding her down so she could inhale the meds. Like the OP suggested dont try to put the mask on him just hold it in front of his face. Or if they gave you the little tube one seal off one end of it with some plastic of some sort and hold that in front of his face.

Stacee momma of 3 3 kids; Lehigh Acres, Florida 8868 posts
19th Dec '08

Did they give you the mask? With Jackson they told me just to hold the thing that goes in their mouth close to his nose and let him breath it in on his own, thats how they did it in the hospital, he is 3mths. It has been working well that way he never freaks out and he had rsv and is recovering very well.

Kristen515 2 kids; Savannah, Georgia 19594 posts
19th Dec '08

ANd I forgot to mention- I remember my nebulizer being really loud (like a vacumm cleaner). Are they still loud today? Maybe try turning it on for a minute to let him get used to the sound before you put the mask to his face. I can only imagine that it would scare me to have the mask on and then it start making crazy noise all of a sudden.

19th Dec '08
Quoting Lake21:
19th Dec '08
Quoting KSmith:
19th Dec '08

Thank you so much for the advice ladies!!! It is greatly appreciated. I think I may have found my solution. I rocked him to sleep for his nap and then held it near him while he slept. He didn't budge!

Thanks again!! :D

CCasto Due July 6; TTC since May 2013; 1 child; El Paso, Texas 1669 posts
19th Dec '08
Quoting Lake21:
Jennie K 1 child; Greenville, North Carolina 1173 posts
19th Dec '08

One thing my mother use to do with me when I was little (before nebulizers at home) was to give me a syringe full of coffee and take me into the bathroom for a STEAM bath. It acted the same. In kids who have asthma coffee has an ingredient that will open the airways. I know if I didn't have my inhalers at any given time and I went into an attack that my mother would shove coffee into my mouth. It always worked. Sometimes I still have to do that.

Good luck and let me know what happens.