30 weeks & dilated Shannon 18 kids; Ohio 9773 posts
21st Jul '09

I had a normal OB appt today and I asked them to check me because I felt the amount of cm that I was having was excessive & watery and I was concerned that maybe I was leaking fluid.

My doctor immediately sent me to L&D for monitoring because I'm 1cm dilated and 60% effaced. I've been on a monitor since @ 3:30 w/ what I thought where braxton hicks contractions coming about 6-12 minutes. I've been having these contractions for weeks but they weren't even strong enough for me to notice that they were anywhere near regular.

I've been given Brethine shots 3 times and I've had 2 doses of Procardia. They are going to do a fetal fibronectin tomorrow afternoon.

I'm a basket case & my husband is hot mess. How am I going to make it another (at least) 8 weeks like this? Anyone been through this? What happens is the fetal fibronectin test is +?

......................... Utah 27220 posts
21st Jul '09

You can make it. I went into PTL at 31w3d. I dilated to 3cm, 75% effaced and -2 station. I was in the hospital for 3 days. I was put on strict bedrest and had to take procardia every 4 hours to keep my contractions stopped. I made it 6 more weeks until I was induced for medical reasons.

Pey and Trista's mommy Due January 5; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Houston, Texas 42502 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting ♥ Shannon ♥:
Taryn - Anya's mommy 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Toronto, Ontario 49462 posts
21st Jul '09

A positive FFN test can be premature labor and possible delivery, but it doesn't mean that necessarily, you may be put in the hospital for the remainder of your pregnancy, just so they can watch you closely. Try not to worry, which I know firsthand, is easier said than done. You will be in my thoughts and prayers that baby stays put!

Smex! Due November 30 (girl); 5 kids; Chehalis, Washington 31994 posts
21st Jul '09

You can make it i was in the same boat i made it to 36 weeks and she was perfect!

bugs mommy☮ 1 child; Newport News, Virginia 7026 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting ♥ Shannon ♥:
Chick+6.5! Due October 18; 6 kids; 1 angel baby; Colorado 7766 posts
21st Jul '09

I have been 1cm dilated since I was 23-24 weeks. I haven't been checked in a while so I don't know if that haschanged but I am now almost 35 weeks. I also had 3 different FFN tests done and they were all positive. My OB told me that a positive result lets them now that you have a higher chance of delivering in the next 48 hours. I would guess they are going to give you steroid shots, if they haven't already, and continie to monitor you and the baby. If the Procardia stops working the next step will probably be Magnesium Sulfate. This medicine sucks ass and makes you feel like crap, but it has stopped my labor in the past. Also, my first pregnancy I was 3cm dilated at 30 weeks and I made it to 35 weeks.

J4B, RN is me Due January 31; 4 kids; Maiden, 8502 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting ♥ Shannon ♥:
Pey and Trista's mommy Due January 5; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Houston, Texas 42502 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting Mari *Quado-mom*:
J4B, RN is me Due January 31; 4 kids; Maiden, 8502 posts
21st Jul '09

great article from the March of Dimes
http://www.marchofdimes.com/professionals/14332_1149.asp
My BFF had a positive FFN at around 30 weeks, with twins. She was in hospital for 2 weeks until all contractions stopped and stayed that way for 4 days. She remained on bedrest at home until 36 weeks and then on modified bedrest until she went into labor at 37+6

Booger's Mommy [EBFB] 17 kids; Ohio 3665 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting ♥ Shannon ♥:
Chick+6.5! Due October 18; 6 kids; 1 angel baby; Colorado 7766 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting !Bring on the baby bump!:
Shannon 18 kids; Ohio 9773 posts
21st Jul '09

My nurse told me that if the contractions don't stop, my next step "isn't so pleasant". She didn't say what the name of the drug is that would give me but she told me that it would make me feel like I've been hit by a truck.

My husband just keeps asking why and of course, they don't have a reason. I wish I could give him one. It just doesn't seem fair to have one more thing to worry about. My pregnancy has already went so fast & I wasn't ready for him to be here in 9 weeks, let alone being on bedrest or having him any sooner. Of course, I also worry about what would have happened had I not pushed my OB to check me today. She really acted like she didn't want to but I just sort of continued to press that I really didn't feel the amount of cm was "normal". IDK if it has anything to do w/ dilating or not. They did cultures and took samples but nothing gave them any reason to believe there was a problem & I don't think any of the results are back yet.

They haven't given the baby any type of steroids or anything like that.

21st Jul '09
Quoting Mari *Quado-mom*:
Booger's Mommy [EBFB] 17 kids; Ohio 3665 posts
21st Jul '09
Quoting ♥ Shannon ♥: