We ended up going to the ped's office today. I just didn't have a good feeling about the red spot on Jordan's leg. On Monday night, I saw what looked like a big pimple on his upper right thigh. It didn't look right. I thought it might have been a spider bite or something. My husband and my SIL told me I was overreacting and it was just a pimple. I let it go, against my better judgement. It looked like it was going away the past two day, aside from a little redness. Well, I look at it this morning and it's a huge, hard red spot that's warm to the touch. Ugh... an abscess! So I immediately call the nurse and she tells me to bring him right in. Our ped looked at it and told me that it had to be drained and that they would take a culture on it. So she squeezes the hell out of it to determine how big and deep it is, while Jordan is screaming his head off. She then leaves and comes back with some lidocaine, a culture kit and a scalpel. The nurse and I hold Jordan down as she injects him with lidocaine and then makes an incision into the abcess. The screams broke my heart. He's got to take antibiotics for 10 days along with an antibiotic ointment on the site. I should be getting a call this weekend to see if it's possible MRSA.
My stupidity caused him so much pain... So to everyone out there, always listen to your gut. A mother knows.... A pimple might not be a pimple. Trust me, you'll know when it doesn't look right. I wish I would have just listened to my gut. I would have saved Jordan from some pain.:(
aww - hopefully it isn't MRSA - hopefully it'll be nothing at all. poor little guy :-(
Awww...better late than never in this situation...aw poor lil guy. hope everythings good.
BTW what is MRSA?
It's methcillin-resistant staphlycoccus aureus. Bascially it's a staph infection that is antibiotic resistant. They would have to give him special type of antibiotic because all the regular antibiotics wouldn't work. There are cases where MRSA can get out of control and people end up dying or having amputations. It can be scary stuff if not controlled.
Sorry to hear all that, Jen!
Last year my neice had a mark like that on her butt and her mom and dad kept saying it wasn't a big deal. They were definately worried because they asked me what I thought about it, but they weren't going to take her in.
I insisted they take her in as soon as possible when I seen it. They took her in and had to go through the same routine and then, it had to be drained at home also.
It did turn out to be MRSA but with the right care, it was contained thankfully.
My point is, if it is MRSA, you caught it in time and it will be fine after treatment :)
When my son was 10days old he began to cry hysterically all day. I took him to his pedi and he told me i was a new mother and that is just what babies do. He sent me home saying the baby was having a bad day. Th nextday the crying stillwould not subside. And let me tell yall when i say the crying was bad, i mean like shrieking all day. he was apparently in pain cause he could be sleep and i you move him just a little he would wake up screaming. anyway, that night i took him to the er. they told me the same bull that i was a new mom get used to it. So the next night i was up keeping an eye on him cause something kept telling me something was wrong with him. i checked his temp nd he had a fever. i tried to break it overnight but it was still high the next morning so i took him bak to his pedi. his right knee was extremely swollen so he sent us to the er. after an xray i was told he had an abcess growing on his bone. they stuck a long needle in his lig pulled out some pus and took it to the lab. at 13 days old they wanted to be safe so the immediatley put him o antiobiotics. he had to be admitted. it was horrible because his veins were too little to get put an iv in so the had to put ione in his head. he had to get surgery to wash and drain his knee. the antibiotic he was on was was too stong sfor the vein it was in so they had to do another surgery to put one in his heart called a hicman.then come to find out the infection had got to his blood ands it was mrsa. at 13 days old he cannot fight that kind of infection. so he had to stay in the hospital a month getting treated with vancomycin. then some time during that month the infection built back up on his kne so thats surgery # 2. and my baby could nt eat for 8 hours b4 the surgeries and i bf so it was hard for me to hold him cause he would be hysterically mad cause he could smel my milk but not eat. it was so hard for me. and my poor baby.they pulled blood from him everyday so he had to keep getting stuck with needles. he only felt saf sleeping with me cause he know if he got in the crib the nurses could get to him. so we co slept on the cot. waking up every 2 hours during the night to get vitals taken. i do not wish that on anyone. but he came through it. the infection is gone and i have a happy baby
ETA: The doctor told me how good it was that i was persistent cause he could have died. So im gonna agree, always always ALWAYS go with your momma gut. you know your child even if they have only been on this planet a few days
Thanks ladies for the support. It's been challenging as I'm still squeezing it at home trying to make sure to clear as much of the pus at home which is not easy with a screaming, kicking baby. He's been a trooper though and plays most of the day. Just a little more tired than he usually is though. I'm hoping that I'll get some results tomorrow from the ped. I just want him to clear this up.
Hi everyone... Sorry but I wanted to give everyone an update. I did get a call back the doctor on Monday. It turned out to be MRSA and he's been on antibiotics at home (both oral and an ointment). Unfortunately, I found another little sore today so we went back and they're extending his antibiotics for another 10 days with a stronger cream antibiotic too. The entire family, including the baby has to bath in a bleach water solution to kill any bacteria on our skins as well as swabbing our nasal cavities with his ointment. If this doesn't work then the next step would be to have him admitted to recieve IV antiobiotics. I'm hoping we can avoid this at all costs.
Thanks for all the support everyone... I'll keep you updated if anything changes.