9 month old not drinking formula A&Z + K&I ♥ Due December 10 (girl); 18 kids; Ohio 1982 posts
19th Sep '09

My son is 9 months and for almost a month I've had to fight with him to drink any formula. He'll drink about 10 oz (at the most) during the day and now he has been waking up to drink at least two bottles every night. I've tried giving him a sippy but he drinks even less. He'd rather just eat baby food all day! Has anyone else's LO done this? What did you do to make them drink more and how can I get him to stop waking up at night just for a bottle?
Thank you for any advice :)

Seeya. Illinois 33868 posts
19th Sep '09

Liv has issues to, she's 8 months.
Her GI (she has stomach problems) said at around this age they usually start to wean themselves and it can get tough, she told me to make sure she's atleast getting 16 oz. I cut out breakfast until she's 1yr now to make sure she gets all of the formual she should, so she only gets two solid meals instead of three. It helps her take the bottle better

user banned Due January 20; 33 kids; North Carolina 14662 posts
19th Sep '09

my daughter just got out of that...first, we mixed her formula..we did 1/2 formula 1/2 milk...she drank it up. also..when we tried to give her juice.. daddy pretended to pour beer in her sippy(his bottle was empty so there was NO way any would get into her cup) and she drank it up. ever since she's been ok. i know people would say 9 months is too early to start, but no one knows your baby better than you. I started Lilu around 10 months, and shes fine.
good luck

A&Z + K&I ♥ Due December 10 (girl); 18 kids; Ohio 1982 posts
19th Sep '09

Quoting Riley♥Olivia:
TheNuge 1 child; Pennsylvania 23132 posts
19th Sep '09

I'd reduce the calories at night so he is hungrier for formula during the day. You could switch him to water at night by progressively diluting the bottles until you get to water (take 2-3 days). That should make him ravenous in the morning. He might wake a little earlier if he is hungry but you could just hand him a bottle in his crib until you are ready to get him.

19th Sep '09
Quoting aberman:
TheNuge 1 child; Pennsylvania 23132 posts
19th Sep '09

Yes, diluting is fine for an older infant when they are otherwise healthy. The "no diluting" is for the morons who try to stretch their formula dollars by skimping on the powder.
I successfully weaned my daughter off of night feedings at 6 months BUT when we transitioned to the crib I weakend and starte night feedings again. As oflast night, her 1:00 feeding looked like dirty water (1/4 scoop in 4 oz water) and the next time it was water. She awoke an hour earlier than usual so i just gave her a full bottle then and got her from her crib at her normal time. Tonight, it will be all water.

22nd Sep '09
Quoting aberman: