18 month old suddenly hates baths keylimepie 1 child; Massachusetts 3527 posts
13th Nov '09

My little water baby is suddenly not interested in taking a bath. At all. This is tricky because she is active and messy!She needs a bath. she used to love the bath. It's not too hot nor too cold. I notice she sometimes gets chilly when she gets out, so I've been putting the heat up a bit before her bath so the room is nice and warm. She will tolerate a bath for a minute or two, so I can at least wash her up, but try and wash her hair and a tantrum ensues, which isn't safe in the bathtub.

What is the deal with this, and how do I keep her hair clean if I can't wash it? I am the only one who ever bathes her, since she was born, so I'm sure nothing has happened to spark this behaviour. Anyone else go through this?

Most impt title - MOM Virginia 8756 posts
13th Nov '09
Quoting keylimepie:
New Leaf Washington, D.C., District of Columbia 22197 posts
13th Nov '09

She might be getting water/soap in her eyes

Or, the water may irritate her ears badly.

user banned Colorado 6887 posts
13th Nov '09

I shower with Holly when she doesn't want to take a bath. She's 19 months old, btw.
She likes to stand and let the water hit her back. I've just got an really nice traction thing on the bottom of the tub and I'm always in there with her. The bathroom heats up better, so it's less painful to get out.
Maybe take her to walmart or somewhere and pick out new bath toys together?

Fides*Spes*Amor 35 kids; San Diego, California 26321 posts
13th Nov '09

Try the shower??

I shower with my LO and she loves it!! :P

keylimepie 1 child; Massachusetts 3527 posts
13th Nov '09
Quoting Christine - Mikey & Andy:
13th Nov '09
Quoting JBS est. 7.17.07 {MWEC}:
Aarohee 1 child; Pennsylvania 7737 posts
13th Nov '09

Does she have bath toys?
If not, invest in tons of them. Averi has a big basket full and every night she picks out the ones she wants to accompany her. She'll stay in the tub forever if you let her. Oh and bubbles! We do bubble baths every other night. You gotta make it fun and not just about getting her clean and out. Maybe show her how to wash herself.

Also, i found this idea on a site and Averi LOVES it....
http://lyndsxo-glamourmoms.blogspot.com/2008/10/iceburgs.html

Don't get me wrong, Averi hates getting in the tub cause she knows her day is over and its bedtime. So she stalls for like 15min before hand. But as soon as we bring out the bucket, bubbles or ice cubes...she wants in ASAP.
Good luck!

ETA: Averi HATES getting her face wet and washing her hair was her least fav thing to do. But we just did it. Tried to teach her to look up and wipe her face once water gets in it. But we do it fast and then she's fine. She eventually got over it and expects it now.

Fides*Spes*Amor 35 kids; San Diego, California 26321 posts
13th Nov '09
Quoting keylimepie:
Most impt title - MOM Virginia 8756 posts
13th Nov '09
Quoting keylimepie:
MamaToThree081012 3 kids; Idaho Falls, Idaho 8713 posts
13th Nov '09

my son hates the bath too. i get the water either too hot or too cold and he absolutely hates getting water in his face. i even try a visor or my hand over his eyes and that doesnt work. and he refuses to sit in the bath. i should just do showers with him since he stands the whole time anyway.

13th Nov '09

She has bath toys, but I realize I haven't gotten her any new ones in a while. Time to go shopping! Any favorites? We sometimes make a "tidal wave" whichis really her just waving her arms around to make the water slosh, which she always loved, but even that's no fun anymore. I like the icerberg idea! You know what? It COULD be that she's on to the fact that bath is close to bedtime. I never even thought of that. She may not want her day to end!

Aarohee 1 child; Pennsylvania 7737 posts
13th Nov '09
Quoting keylimepie:
user banned 2 kids; Fiji 10927 posts
13th Nov '09

my 18 mo old is the same way suddenly. i just make her suck it up. she's so filthy by the end of the day, bath time is unavoidable. try keep up with her during the day and keep her as clean as you can. maybe that'll shorten her bath a little? my daughter loves those bath crayons too. and the foam letters. those keep her busy for a bit. she also likes when i run the water from the spout on low for her so she can play with it. she fills up cups and then dumps them out. sometimes on me :lol: she HATES bubbles though. she thinks having bubbles on her is equivilent to being dirty. she's a lil germaphobe.

Fighters FIGHT 1 child; Buffalo, New York 2819 posts
13th Nov '09

my son went through a phase JUST like this around that age! he eventually told me he was scared of the tubby for some reason. after 6 days, he was completely back to normal and begging for a bath 3x a day. hope you get it figured out!