Reply
Swallowing Shampoo Kalob & Logan - I love my 2 kids; Spring Valley, California 1927 posts
8th Jan '10

My almost 1 year old (01/09/10) ingested some shampoo this evening. I'm not sure how much as I left the room to go to the kitchen. He crawled into the bathroom from the bedroomand I found him getting one of his tub toys. The shampoo had spilled on the tile and he was smacking his lips. His breath also smelled of the shampoo so I know he had a little. I called the Poison Help Hotline and they told me shampoo is just liquid soap so just give him something to drink - milk, water, juice. They also said he may have vomiting or runny bowel movements but should be fine. He is acting fine so far.
I feel bad but I only left for a few seconds. Has anyone else had this happen?

HeatherOO7 18 kids; California 43054 posts
8th Jan '10

Lily ate Tums when I had my back turned. She also tried a bite out of a bath bomb... she didn't care for that one. LOL

mamato6 vba4c successful Phoenix, Arizona 10644 posts
8th Jan '10
Quoting Kalob's mom:
MonsterBoobs 7083 posts
8th Jan '10

I swallowed pine sol when I was little. My mom took me to the hospital and they pumped my stomach :shock:

She also told me that my son will do the same things.. I am sooo not looking forward to that lol

A$h13y 2 kids; Okawville, Illinois 4901 posts
8th Jan '10

when I was about 5 or 6...my cousin and I would make snow cones out of snow and spray them with perfume that smelt good and eat it!!!!!! OMG! I remember how gross it was but we would still eat it because it smelt good :) I bet your LO will be ok....might have the runs though :( And I would think drinking milk woudl be better because it coats the stomach. But heck~!!! some grandparents used to wash their kids mouth out with soap...thats before they had all of these standards for what is contained in things like soap and shampoo!

r a b b i t ™ Somewhere, US, United States 27547 posts
8th Jan '10

I can't tell you how many times Emma has decided soap would be an acceptable snack. It'll probably only give him some pretty runny poop, other than that he should be fine. It's pretty mild on their bellies. Don't be surprised if he's not too interested in eating tomorrow.

A$h13y 2 kids; Okawville, Illinois 4901 posts
8th Jan '10
Quoting HeatherOO7:
Kalob & Logan - I love my 2 kids; Spring Valley, California 1927 posts
8th Jan '10

Thanks for the information!! I hope he isn't too uncomfortable because tomorrow is his 1st Birthday. He had some water and I will be giving him milk in a little bit (he is already on whole). I'll wait and see.