alleybow 1170 Posts | Joined BG: Jun 04, 2008 Last Visit: 5 years ago
Age 33
Gender Female
Status In a Relationship
Work bio lab assistant, student, research intern
Location Lakewood,
Interest art, fishing, reading
Kids 3
On January 6th, 2009 at about 9:30 a.m. I went to visit my favorite coffee shop, as always. When I sat down, I noticed what I thought was just another Braxton Hicks contraction. Less than twenty minutes later, I felt another one. It was pretty painful, so I thought I'd try to time the next one. I got out a peice of paper and sipped at my tea. The woman sitting next to me was startled at my facial expression through the following contraction and she started helping me time them. They were exactly 13 minutes apart. I figured that was kind of far apart to be labor, so I just continued to time them and called my hubby to let him know how I was feeling. The contractions were so painful that I really hoped that he might offer to come home early to help me through them, but he couldn't read my mind so he stayed gone. I stayed at the coffee shop for a few hours and then headed home to clean up and make dinner. Just after dinner, the contractions were intense enough to make me stop in my tracks. I decided to have my hubby go pick up our neice who was interested in helping me through labor and witnessing the birth. I put my boys to bed and let them know that the baby would be here by morning. They were very excited. It was getting late, and my contractions continued to be ten or more minutes apart, so I worried that I had gotten my neice too soon. I told her I would take her to school in the morning if I was mistaken about this being true labor. I hadn't gotten to the bedroom floors yet, and it was my very last chore to be done for the house to be completely livable. So I asked my neice if she might help me scrub the bedroom floor to pass the time. After were through, both of us were tuckered out so we retired to bed. It was just after midnight and Shawn (my hubby) and I were talking. The baby was moving around like crazy! I told Shawn that he was moving so much he was going to break the water bag. Sure enough, seconds after I said that, I felt a trickle of water gush out. I was so excited! It really was time! After the water broke, my contractions became intolerable. Fortunately, I was at home in my comfort zone, with my family with me to make me comfortable. It was so nice to have Shawn wrapping his arms around me to and talking softly in my ear. He and my neice, Sammy, were wonderful supports. My labor was strong all night long. I went from room to room, from the shower to the bed, to the living room. Sammy took the shower head off of the wall and ran it over my back. It felt so wonderful. My transition began around 4 in the morning. I kept having to pee over and over again. When I peed it came out with force and there was a ton of it! I couldn't figure out how I could produce so much because I don't think I drank that much. At about five in the morning, I got really really hungry. I asked for a bowl of cereal. As hungry as I felt, I could not eat it. Later in the morning, about ten thirty, I started to wonder if it had been too long since my water broke, so I decided to go to the midwife's office to have her check my cervix and to listen to the baby's heart beat since I forgot to get the listening device. The cold air outdoors felt so good! The midwife was unaware of my plans on having a home birth. When I told her I wasn't sticking around, she was concerned. She told me I was 8 centimeters and that if I wanted to have the baby at home I'd better leave right away. By the time we got back home, I felt the need to regain my concentration. I set up a bunch of blankets against a chair and hovered over it. At this point, I needed to harbor what energy I had left. My contractions took all of my breath away. I couldn't scream, I couldn't cry, I could only pant and shake my head side to side. I needed complete quiet, and for no one to touch me. Even the gentlest touch made my nerves scream. By then, my mother in law showed up to get my neice. She was very worried about me having the baby at home with no doctors, and her attitude angered me and irritated me. I wanted her to leave. She had the nerve to light a cigarette in my home! I didn't want my baby's first breath to be cigarette smoke! I told her to go outside. I love her and all, but that was just thoughtless. I finally just had to tune her out and make the best of it. I felt the baby's head in the birth canal. He was ready to crown. I couldn't push with my contractions although I did have the pressure to. I couldn't push because it was too painful, so instead I concentrated on relaxing through them and with each one, felt his little head come down all by itself. My body pushed him out without my assistance, I thought it was so neat. Finally, when his head was crowning and I felt the burning sensation, I had to use the contractions and push with all my might against the pain. I screamed so loudly that I scared my four year old out of the room. My neice told me I sounded like and opera singer! I finally pushed his head out, I pushed so hard and his little head popped out with force. I needed a break, but the rest of his body was still inside me and Shawn was eager to get him out. He encouraged me to get angry and push the rest of him out, and as I pushed he gently pulled on his shoulders and out he came at 3: 33 p.m. on Wednesday, January 7th, 2009. His cord was long and healthy, still pulsating. I pulled him up to my chest and he peed on me, lol. When the cord stopped pulsing, Shawn clamped it and Joshua, my 7 year old cut it. He was so proud of himself! A few minutes later, I decided to nurse him to help the placenta come out. He nursed like a pro! When he was done, Shawn took him and held him while I stood and delivered a healthy placenta. Then the baby and I went into the bathtub and washed up. Then we went to bed and slept while Shawn cleaned up the mess in the living room. When he was done cleaning, we all cuddled up in bed and napped. Then a good friend came over with pizza, oh I was starving! I ate almost an entire pizza by myself!

Jonathan is growing strong and healthy! He pulls himself to standing, has a few teeth, has the most beautiful smile! My older boys, Josh and Jacob love him like crazy. Josh is in third grade this year and Jacob just entered kindergarten. I am soon returning to work and hoping I can continue breatfeeding with ease. I am single again, things didn't work out with my hubby, but I am content anyways.


"True peace is not merely the absence of tension: it is the presence of justice"-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Mercy and truth are met together, righteousness and peace have kissed eachother."-Psalm 85:10 The Christian Holy Bible

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."-Martin Luther King, Jr.

"True Justice is the harvest reaped by peacemakers from seeds sown in a spirit of peace."-James 3:18 The Christian Holy Bible

"There is only one evil: ignorance."-Socrates

"In the arena of human life the honors and rewards fall to those who show their good qualities in action."-Aristotle

"Justice's great reward is peace of mind."-Epicurus

"We are made for cooperation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of upper and lower teeth. To act against one another is contrary to nature."-Marcus Aerelius Antoninus

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."-Sir Richard Steele

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, but it takes character and understanding to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie

"Those who are lifting the world upward and onward are those who encourage more than criticize." - Elizabeth Harrison