If you never thought much about giving your baby kiwi…listen up! In recent years the number of allergic reactions to kiwi in children has risen sharply. Unfortunately, the effects are huge and sometimes life threatening. The prevalence has been somewhat shocking, as adults with known kiwi allergies tend to

suffer from mild reactions It seems that babies and children under the age of 5 are the highest risk for a serious adverse reaction to eating kiwi.

A study going on at South Hampton University revealed that as many as 40% of children with a kiwi allergy will have a life-threatening reaction to the fruit. In most cased, the child was dramatically affected after the first exposure. Many of these children also suffer from allergies to peanuts, milk, and eggs.

Experts say that the reason for the rise in kiwi allergy diagnosis is unclear, but it could be due to the increasing accessibility and prevalence of the fruit to the American public.

Next 14 Pickles

More in Baby Buzz