I could be, and probably am a little biased when it comes to this opinion, but I really believe the men have to make their fair share of concessions when becoming a father. Now don’t get me wrong,
I am by no means saying that motherhood is a cake walk, far from it, but I think it can be agreed upon that many of the things that come along with being a parent and caring for a baby are more geared towards the female persuasion in everything from fit to style and design.
Now, while this doesn’t bother me per say (and this coming from a man who thinks you should always answer a toy telephone call from your child), I take a little pleasure in the small victories that men seem to be having when it comes to equality in parenting products and perhaps none has been longer overdue and yet seems to be so quickly evolving as the diaper bag.
And with the growing number of stay at home dads, I don’t think these products could have come at a better time.
While I know that every dad is different in style, I have done my best to cover my bases with these manly alternatives, and provide you with every possible design so regardless of your preference, nobody will be confusing your diaper bag, with your wives.
8 Jeep Perfect Pockets Diaper Bag
When it comes to rugged and manly, I think few brands exude that as much as Jeep. Seemingly carrying over their design from their trucks to their diaper bags, I really like the bag because it comes in both back pack and duffle style. Also, its unassuming looks makes this bag at home on any dad's shoulder or back. Aside rugged design, some of the features of this bag include:
- Large spacious main storage compartment
- Perfect pockets organizer system
- Easy access exterior wipes dispenser
- Insulated bottle pocket
- Diaper changer pad included
7 Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper Bag
As if the name didn’t say it all, this model was made with men in mind, with its functionality and minimalist design. One of my favorite things about this model is that it comes in nearly 30 styles; everything from camouflage to dragons, to supporting your favorite sports team (it’s never too early to make a fan).
Not just looking good, the Diaper Dude Messenger Diaper bag can be worn over the shoulder or across the chest like a seatbelt, depending on what you find comfortable. Other features include:
- A diaper bag that dad won't shy away from
- Specially designed for hip dads (and moms.)
- Durable nylon; ergonomic, across-the-chest design; wide, adjustable padded strap
- large main compartment; 3 exterior, zip-closed pockets; elasticized bottle pocket on side
6 DadGear Backpack Diaper Bag
If only I knew of this bags existence almost three years ago I think I would have saved myself a little trouble, and prevented myself from dropping a lot of things. Not only is this bag completely unassuming as a diaper bag, it is loaded with features and space that will make taking care of your little one that much easier, and probably the neighbors kids too. With this bag you get:
- Quick access wipes window on the lower front of the bag provides easy access to your baby wipes (fits most major brands of soft pack wipes with a flip top lid)
- Specialty pocket called the Diaper Hammock keeps diapers at the top of the pack and clean and neat
- Spacious main compartment has a clamshell opening for easy access to contents and for refilling the wipes case. This compartment and all others lined with light colored fabric to make things easy to find.
- Two bottle pockets accessible from the exterior hold up to 2 bottles each
- Integrated stroller straps attach to any style stroller
5 Lillian Rose Diaper Bag, Daddy Military
Whether you were in the military or just have for love the design, this camouflaged diaper bag will just home at the mall as it will in a combat zone (and sometimes I can’t tell the difference).
Perhaps my favorite part about this bag is that is is adorned with “The Father’s Creed”, and “Daddy: Always Ready, Always There.” Aside from looking pretty bad-ass, this military inspired diaper bag includes features such as:
- Easy to clean material
- Rough and tumble camouflage bag with an assortment of pockets and zippered compartments.
- Has plenty of room for baby bottles, wipes, toys, diapers.
- With web carry handles and detachable shoulder strap.
4 Skip Hop Duo Double Signature Diaper Bag
If you are having multiples, or have small children relatively close in age, then this is the only bag for you. Not only is it incredibly stylish and easy on the eyes, it is also unassumingly HUGE, with Skip Hop Duo Double Signature Diaper Bag being able to carry everything and the kitchen sink (literally). Reason for this and some of this bags features include:
- Attaches to any double (side-by-side) stroller with patented Shuttle Clips
- 16 pockets include a zippered personal pocket and two side pockets for bottles or Sippy cups
- Wear with messenger strap or as a tote
- Magnetic closures throughout; main compartment zips shut
- Convenient cell phone pocket and easy-access pen holders
- Attaches to any double (side-by-side) stroller with patented shuttle clips
- Removable shoulder strap for a cleaner look
And yes, in case you think you didn’t read that right, it says 16 pockets. I know.
3 Lillian Rose Diaper Bag, Building The Foundation Daddy
Another bag by Lillian Rose, this one is more of novelty than anything, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find any diaper bag more manly or masculine than one that looks like tool-bag. Constructed to look almost identical to a carpenter's bag (minus the adorable “Daddy’s Little Project” insignia), this diaper is sure to bring out the laughs wherever it goes. Some of the bags features include:
- Faux suede
- Measures 17.5" x 6" x 12.5"
- Bag has a Velcro closure
- 7 outside pockets, a small zipper pocket inside
2 Stokke Changing Bag
To be perfectly honest, if I didn’t know this was a diaper bag, I honestly don’t think I would be able to tell, which in my books makes for a successful product.(unless of course that leads to some hilarious workplace confusion). Aside from looking dapper on mens shoulders, Stokke has outdone themselves with stylish and heavily featured ladened product that includes:
- 100% polyester for easy cleaning and washing
- Includes changing mat bag, foldable changing mat, and pacifier holder
- Many storage compartments for easy organization
- Easily attaches to Stokke stroller (and most others)
- Lightweight and Machine washable
- Available in a variety of colors for any style
1 OiOi Men's Waxed Canvas Messenger Diaper Bag
Last but certainly not least; we come to what I like to refer to as the Rolls-Royce of men's diapers bag. Not only would I be proud to walk down the street with this bag in tow; it seems this bag was made specifically for the busy dad.
The OiOi Men’s Messenger Diaper bag is composed of waxed canvas, which adds a whole other layer of protection and stain resistance. This means that it will not only stay clean, but will protect your laptop (did I mention there was a laptop pocket?). Other features include:
- Waxed Canvas
- Insulated bottle holder
- Wipes case
- Zippered wet bag
- Protective metal feet on base
I am proud to report that after writing this article it seems that designers and manufacturers really are heading the call and noticing the changes in family dynamics, and this is very evident in the products they offer.
No longer are the days when dad has to walk down the street with a pink paisley diaper bag, no, for today and what seems like the foreseeable future men too will have our options when it comes to how we look when taking care of our children, even if that takes us from the sublime to the ridiculous.