Your microwave isn’t just for defrosting and reheating. Here are 15 easy and speedy recipes for whipping up snacks, desserts, and even complete meals in the microwave.
20 Minute and a Half Microwave Cheesecake
Who doesn’t love cheesecake? This version is ready in 90 seconds.
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp sour cream
½ tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbsp sugar replacement sub (taste as you go)
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high heat for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds incorporating all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.
19 Ten Minute-strone
This minestrone is hearty and comforting, and ready in ten minutes.
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces green beans, stem ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/3 cup couscous
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can (15.5 ounces) navy beans, drained and rinsed
Flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional)
Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
1.In a 3-quart microwave-safe dish, place oil, carrots, bell pepper, green beans, and garlic; stir to coat. Cover and microwaveon high for 5 minutes.
Add couscous, broth, tomato paste, navy beans, 1 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt. Cover; microwave on high until vegetables and couscous are tender, 5 minutes. If desired, stir in parsley, and garnish with cheese.
18 Microwave Sweet Potato Chips
Craving potato chips? Try this sweet version.
Cooking spray1 (14-ounce) sweet potato, very thinly sliced, divided1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided1/2 teaspoon salt, divided1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
1. Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a microwave-safe plate; coat parchment lightly with cooking spray.
2. Arrange one-fourth of the potato slices in a single layer on parchment.
3. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper.
4. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Check for crispness. Continue to cook at 30-second intervals until done.
5. Repeat procedure with remaining potato, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
17 Homemade Microwave Lasagna
Lasagna just like mom used to make. Sort of.
1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
4 cups baby spinach, chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
6 no-boil lasagna noodles
1. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, spinach, 1-1/2 cups of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. At the bottom of a microwave-safe 8″ square baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of the sauce. Top with 2 no-bake lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup of sauce and half the ricotta mixture; repeat.
3. Top with the remaining 2 lasagna noodles, the remaining sauce, 1/2 cup remaining mozzarella and 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan.
4. Cover with wax or parchment paper, then place a plate on top on top of the wax paper. Place the dish on top of a couple paper towels in the microwave, in case you have any leaking (I did) and microwave on high power (power level 10) until the noodles are tender, about 12-20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
16 Microwave Peanut Butter Cups
Peanut butter cups are super easy to make! Just melt, layer, and chill.
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
1. Line two 12-cup mini muffinpanswithpaperliners; set aside.
2. In a microwave-safebowl, combine white chocolate andpeanut butter.Microwave, until almost melted, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, place semisweet chocolate in another microwave-safebowl.Microwave, stirring once or twice, until almost melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Dividing evenly, use a spoon to layer semisweet chocolate and peanut-butter mixture into liners, beginning and ending with chocolate; sprinkle with peanuts.
5. Place muffin pans in freezer until peanut buttercups are firm, about 15 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving.
15 Minute Meatloaf
This meatloaf is ready much faster than the traditional version, but it still tastes just as good.
1/3 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)2 tablespoons grated onion1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme1/2 teaspoon kosher salt1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1 pound ground sirloin1 large eggCooking spray2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
1. Combine first 8 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; stir gently to combine.
2. Spread beef mixture evenly in a 9 1/2-inch microwave-safe loaf dish coated with cooking spray; do not pack the beef mixture into dish. Loosely cover with a paper towel.
3. Microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes.
4. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle meatloaf with cheese; broil 3 minutes or until browned.
14 Ham and Cheese Hashbrowns
This breakfast side dish is ready in less than fifteen minutes!
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes with onions and peppers (such as Ore-Ida Potatoes O'Brien), 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 1/2 cup drained canned quartered artichoke hearts, chopped1/4 cup chopped green onions 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 3 ounces smoked ham, cut into bite-sized pieces1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. Combine potatoes and chicken broth in a 1-quart microwave-safe casserole. Cover with lid, and microwave at HIGH 12 minutes, stirring after 6 minutes.
2. Uncover dish. Stir in 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, green onions, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and ham. Sprinkle with cheese. Microwave, uncovered, at HIGH 1 minute.
13 Quick Corn on the Cob
Cook your corn right in the husks!
1. Cut off the stalk end of the corn.
2. On the other end, pull the major part of the husk out, or cut if off.
3. Place in microwave, still in husks.
4. Cook for 4 minutes in microwave.
12 Quiche in a Mug
This delicious breakfast is ready in no time!
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon melted unsalted butter
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
4 small grape tomatoes, halved
1/8 cup torn pieces of fresh bread
1 tablespoon grated cheese (e.g., cheddar cheese, mozzarella, etc.)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs, plus more for garnish (e.g., green onions, Italian parsley, chives, etc.)
1. In a microwavable mug, add egg, milk, melted butter, salt, and pepper and whisk until thoroughly mixed and egg whites are completely broken up.
2. Add halved grape tomatoes, torn bread, grated cheese, and chopped herbs on top of egg mixture, making sure ingredients are evenly dispersed and have not settled to bottom of mug. Ingredients will stay settled within the quiche mixture better if you do not whisk ingredients into egg mixture.
3. Place mug in microwave, and cook on high for 1 minute, just until egg is completely cooked and quiche is slightly puffed. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.
11 Cookie in a Cup
This one-cookie recipe is great for when you want something sweet, but don’t want to overdo it.
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Granulated White Sugar
1 Tablespoon of firmly packed Dark Brown Sugar
3 Drops of Vanilla Extract
Small Pinch of Kosher Salt
1 Egg Yolk (discard the egg white or save for different recipe)
Scant ¼ of All Purpose Flour (slightly less than ¼ of a cup)
2 heaping tablespoons of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Start by melting your butter in the microwave. The butter should just be melted, not boiling.
2. Add sugars, vanilla and salt. Stir to combine.
3. Separate your egg and add the yolk only to your cup. Stir to combine.
4. Add flour, then stir again. Measure a scant, slightly less than full, ¼ cup of all-purpose flour.
5. Add the chocolate chips, and give a final stir. Now your mixture will look like cookie dough.
6. Cook in microwave 40-60 seconds, start checking for doneness at 40 seconds. Mine takes 50 seconds. Do not cook past one minute, just like a regular cookie, this will continue cooking as it cools. If the cookie is dry or cake like, try less time.
10 Garlic and Rosemary Microwave Potatoes
This delicious dish is ready in about 15 minutes!
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
1 1/2 pounds red new potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. Combine oil, garlic, and rosemary in a 2-quart microwave-safe baking dish with a lid. Cover, and microwave on high until garlic is fragrant, 1 minute.
2. Stir in potatoes. Cover, and microwave on high until potatoes are tender, 13 to 15 minutes.
3. Season withsaltand pepper