A new study has shown that licking a baby's pacifier or soother clean may lead to health issues down the line.
When it comes to kids, there's no such thing as being too clean, or so we thought. Some parents balk at the very idea of picking up a dirty soother and putting it in their mouth and then passing on their germs to their child while others don't give a second thought to cleaning off their baby's soother that has fallen on the floor by "rinsing it off" in their own mouth before handing it off to their tot.
A new study has shown that parents who clean their babies' soothers by popping them into their own mouths to "sterilize" them clean may cause an increased risk for their child to develop health problems like allergies, asthma and eczema.
According to Mirror, a study by the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (ACAAI) was performed between parents who use their mouth to clean soothers and allergic responses in their children. There were 128 mothers interviewed in the study for over 18 months. 12 percent said that they would regularly clean their babies' soothers with their own mouths.
Of these babies, all had lower IgE levels - the levels which our immune systems produce when our bodies are threatened by viruses and bacteria. Low IgE is good. High levels of IgE are typically associated with allergies. This seems like a win for licking soothers clean, right?
Professor Ziegler, who participated in the study, warns parents that prior to babies being weaned onto solid foods, great care should be taken to properly sterilizing all items that baby's mouth comes into contact with due to their under-developed immune systems. He insists that the thought that licking a baby's soother clean will help strengthen their immune system is nothing but an old wives' tale.
What do you think about Professor Ziegler's advice? Have you ever licked your baby's soother clean? Let us know in the comments!