www.babygaga.com

This Mom's Warning Of Using Aerosol Sunscreen On Kids Is Important To See

TRIGGER WARNING: This article contains a graphic image of a baby with chemical burns. 

One mom has taken to social media to tell her story and warn other parents-- a can of aerosol sunscreen caused chemical burns on her baby.

According to Rebecca Cannon, back in May 2017, she followed all the guidelines on the back of the sunscreen can she purchased. The label clearly indicated that the spray was safe for children 6 months of age and older. It also said that to apply to the face, the sunblock should first be sprayed onto hands, then rubbed onto the skin. However, her then 14-month-old daughter, Kyla, still suffered severe burns on her face.

Continue scrolling to keep reading Click the button below to start this article in quick view.

In a post to Facebook, Cannon shared photos of little Kyla's facial burns, along with a warning she wants spread to all parents.

PREVIOUSLY: FDA Releases New Guidelines For Sunscreen Products Leaving Many Favorites For Babies And Children Deemed Unsafe

“Please watch and be careful when using aerosolized sunscreen!” the mom wrote, sharing a series of graphic photos showing the burns on her daughter Kyla’s face. “I have done a lot of research. Since coming home and have found a disturbing amount of cases like ours. I don’t know why it’s not removed from the shelves!!”

The spray that she used was Banana Boat SPF 50 broad spectrum kids sunscreen. “On the back of the bottle it said it was safe for use on all ages unless the child is under 6 months of age,” she explained in an interview with POPSUGAR. According to her, Kyla wasn’t even exposed to any sun that day.

Via: The Bump

At the time of her post, Health Canada was investigating nine other similar cases related to aerosol sunscreen. Many parents shared their own horrifying experiences with the spray in the comments.

“Almost the exact same thing happened to my son years ago except worse. It was over his entire skin and came close to killing him,” wrote one user.

Cannon hopes that the incident with Kyla will serve as a warning to other parents. “I just want the word out for parents to be careful as to what they are putting on their children,” she told POPSUGAR. She also said that she had contacted Banana Boat and shared her story. The company reimbursed her but took no further action.

READ NEXT: Stay Safe In The Sun: Best Kid-Friendly Sunscreens

95% Of Baby Food Sold In US Contains Toxic Metals, New Study Shows

More in Did You Know...