Content warning: Child death, injury.
A very tragic incident happened recently outside of a Tim Horton's restaurant involving an accident with a small boy which very sadly cost him his life.
Grease traps are a common installment outside of restaurants and the famous Tim Horton's are no exceptions. They are used to collect cooking grease and other cooking solids that shouldn't be washed down the sewer system. Restaurants, as well as commercial properties, usually have them to prevent pipes from becoming clogged or otherwise damaged.
According to thestir.cafemom.com, in this recent instance, the small boy was either playing or walking near the grease trap outside the restaurant when he fell in. Neither his mother, who is said to have watched the tragic scene unfold nor first responders, were able to render aid to save the young boy.
Unfortunately, accidents such as these have happened before. In 2017, a 3-year-old girl fell into a 6-foot-deep grease trap outside of an ice cream shop in Alabama while playing with her brothers and sisters. Her tragic passing was not in vain however as state legislation was passed to require businesses to use more secure covers to be placed over restaurant grease traps to prevent other similar tragedies from happening.
In 2018, a 5-year-old slipped and fell into yet another restaurant's grease trap but luckily the child was able to be rescued in this case. The circumstances that allowed this child to be saved are not clear.
One can only hope that the latest New York tragedy will go the way that the Alabama untimely death went and New York will pass legislation to allow safety measures that must be put in place to ensure that another family does not lose a child due to a senseless and careless matter.
Hopefully, this can serve as a warning for parents to keep a sharp eye on children playing outside near restaurants.
Grease traps are needed for restaurants that served fried items. What do you think can be done to improve this situation overall for everyone involved? Let us know in the comments!
Our thoughts for comfort and peace are with the family of the little boy involved.