Jennifer Goodall is 41 weeks pregnant and has already given birth to 3 other children via c-section and wanted to go forward with a vaginal delivery for her 4th child. The Florida hospital did not take kindly to her request.
After informing them, they threatened Jennifer to report her to the Department of Children and Family Services and do a c-section without her consent if she is admitted there. Jennifer has also made it clear in her letter when filing her complaint that she would like to move forward with a vaginal birth unless her or her child are in danger or complications arise. Here is her statement:
"My decision to allow labor to proceed before consenting to a surgical intervention is based on years of research, careful consideration of the risks to me and my baby, and my family's needs," Goodall says in a statement shared by NAPW. "All I want is to be able to go to the hospital when I'm in labor and have my medical decisions respected--and my decision is to proceed with a trial of labor and not have cesarean surgery unless some medical complication arises that makes cesarean surgery necessary for my or my baby's health. [I would] definitely consent to surgery if there were any indication during labor that it is necessary. I am trying to make the decision that will be safest for both me and my baby, and give me the greatest chance at being able to heal quickly after my child is born so I can care for my newborn and my three other children."
The National Advocate for Pregnant Women did file a complaint on her behalf but it was denied by the federal court.